Author Topic: track down family of Sgt Jonathan Shield  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
track down family of Sgt Jonathan Shield
« on: Sunday 11 August 19 11:23 BST (UK) »
For a proposed memorial erected 8th Febr 2020 I am trying to track down the family of Sgt Jonathan Shield who was the son of John and Lovina Shield of Crawcrook, Co.Durham.  Sgt Shield was the Flight Engineer of a 97 Squadron Lancaster bomber ND961 crashed 8th Febr 1945 near Son. His Lancaster was on his way to a target at Ladbergen(Dortmund Ems canal) and over Holland ND961 and another Lancaster collided and both crashed which took the lives of in total 15 crewmembers. I am in touch with the relatives of both lancasters and it would be nice if we can find the family of Jonathan Shield to attend the memorial unveiling and service in memory of Jonahan and the other crewmembers.
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: track down family of Sgt Jonathan Shield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 August 19 12:54 BST (UK) »
Jonathan Shield birth registered in Gateshead in 1923 with mother's maiden name Reed.

Parents John Shield and Lovina Reed married in Hexham, Northumberland in 1918.

Jonathan had an older brother Thomas, birth registered in Gateshead in 1920, so the best course of action would be to see if Thomas had any family.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 August 19 13:59 BST (UK) »
Roll of Honour in the March 12, 1945 edition of the Newcastle Journal , notes that his parents were living at 1 Allen Terrace, Crawcrook. The paper also has a picture of Jonathan, albeit quality not great.

His older brother's marriage in 1945 is noted in the May 29, 1945 edition of the Newcastle Evening Chronicle
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 August 19 14:11 BST (UK) »
http://www.rytonwarmemorials.org.uk/war_memorials/317/jonathan-shield.php

...states towards end, "Information from family members". It may be worth contacting the website and asking if they can pass details of your request to anysuch members that they have details of.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 August 19 15:08 BST (UK) »
Many,Many Thanks Craclyn for your terrific contribution.

Many ,Many Thanks Scotmum for your contribution as well. Thank you for directing me to the ryton war memorial site and i already email them see if they can help me out. Of course I let you know the result hopefully which is positive.

Cheers,
Adrian
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 August 19 15:13 BST (UK) »
Good luck with your search Adrian. Scotmum, That Ryton site was a great find.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 August 19 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Craclyn, and indeed Scotmum a great find. As I said i will keep you posted.

Cheers,
Adrian