Author Topic: Martha Kemp my 2nd Great Grand Aunt was Pastor of Britten Memorial Church  (Read 2975 times)

Offline Emilia Knight

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Kemp my 2nd Great Grand Aunt was Pastor of Britten Memorial Church
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 06:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm new to this site. So I must apologize if I leave this message in the wrong spot. Lol

I am a great granddaughter of Edmund Kenneth Carpenter and Edith Oliver, Grand daughter of Emma Edith Lillian Carpenter. Almost a month ago, my family and I just found about Mary Jane McGuire. We found a photo of her in her military uniform. On the back it refered to her as Paulie (Polly) McGuire, Edmund's 2nd Wife.

My family and I are a little confused on her name as well. Lol.

I read your previous messages and I believe I have found the same records as you guys have. I knew Martha married twice. Hertbutis McGuire (I think that's how you spell it) was listed as Father on Mary Jane and Edmund's Marriage Record.

Information about Edmund.

Edmund Kenneth Carpenter born 06 June 1889 in Markyate Nr St Albans, Hertfordshire, England. He was the second oldest child of Rev. Herbert Carpenter and Elizabeth 'Jane' Harrison. The Carpenters have nobility in their family tree. Unfortunately, he didn't inherit anything because it all went to his older brother.
He arrived in Canada in 1910.
I believe he fought in both World Wars. I know WWI for sure.
He married Edith Oliver on the 15 April 1915.
They had four children together.
1. Emma Edith 'Lillian' Carpenter 1916-2002
2. Frank Edmund Kenneth Carpenter 1917-1926. Sadly, he was killed by at train when he was 9.
3. Russell Victor Carpenter 1918-1960
4. Margaret Lillian Carpenter 1927-?
Sadly, Edith Oliver died giving birth to Margaret and Edmund had Margaret adopted out. Therefore, not much is known about her.

When we found out about Mary Jane, my father and I spoke to my Cousin who is Russell Victor Carpenter's daughter. She was shocked because she remembers her father saying that Edmund had put him in a foster home and that she didn't understand why he didn't take her father out if the foster home when he was married.

Edmund passed away on 01 February 1965 in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
His body was donated to the University of British Columbia.

We have no idea what happen to Mary Jane.

Mary Jane's military photo is the old photo we have of her.

Emilia

Offline Candidiasia Ibberrson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Kemp my 2nd Great Grand Aunt was Pastor of Britten Memorial Church
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 08:33 BST (UK) »
This is an Update

The photo of the painting of M.S. McGuire. We think that the woman in the painting / photograph is at least in her 60s & possibly early 70s.  If involved for 48 years in 1936, then likely in her 60s at least.

Information obtained from:-

Birth Certificate (photocopy) GRO Number 9d 9 York Born 3 August 1867, Silver Street Clifton, ,Father Christopher Kemp, Occupation Gas Works Labrouer Mother Mary Jane Kemp formerly Pratt Birth Registered 27 August 186716439-24

Marriage Certificate

1st Marriage

Married 23rd February 1889, in the Register Office in the County of York 

Married John Dobb Pool.Martha Kemp, Age 21, Spinster, 20 Garden Street York. Father Christopher Kemp Labourer.Witnesses: Frank William Bentley and Mary Prince

2nd Marriage

Hubirtus John Louis McGUIRE, 71, widower, clergyman, Ontario, 503 Yonge St. in Toronto, s/o Blainey McGUIRE (b. Ireland) & Maria DUBOIS, married Martha STIER (Steer?), 55, widow, England, 257 Rusholme Rd, d/o Christopher KEMP (b. England) & Mary PRATT, witn: Ellen Marie CLAPP of 977 Bloor St. West in Toronto & Mary Jane STIER of 257 Rusholme Rd., 25 Aug 1924 at Brampton

Death Certificate

Died 14 May 1938, 257 Rusholme Road, Toronto, Canada, Age 70 years Occupation Housework.  Name of Informant Hubertus McGuire husband.  Cause of Death General Carcinomatosis  - Breast Cancer

Place of Burial Prospect Cemetery, St. Clair Avenue West, Toronto 16 May 1938  Plot 880, Section 19
Wells of Yorkshire