Author Topic: William Henry Sommers or Summers  (Read 1484 times)

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Sommers or Summers
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 August 19 21:19 BST (UK) »
Wow guys! Thanks Brentor you have added a few details to my tree and both of you have given me food for thought and and new areas to check out. A nice leg up, appreciate it.

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 00:51 BST (UK) »
Brentor.
"On a previous thread you initiated it is stated that the will of WHS, Master Mariner, Poole, mentions children Janet  Mary and Howard John."

William Summers (1778-1824) died intestate and the 1825 records of the court in Poole referred to William's children. William Henry Summers, Robert Ash Summers, Martha Summer and Mary Brouster Summers. His wife had predeceased him so the court dealt with his estate and also guardianship which passed to Mary Summers the paternal Grandmother. It was noted that William was not present because he was at sea. It also noted that he was a minor still and had not reached his majority (21 at the time)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 06:22 BST (UK) »
Extract from Reply #1 from Ciderdrinker:-

"William Henry Summers 1840 Master Mariner - children Janet Mary and Howard John Summers"

I am reasonably confident that the death certificate and will together will prove that WHS of Poole and WHS of Liverpool were one and the same. The evidence that he was also WHS of Canada is only circumstantial. Further research is required.

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 02:38 BST (UK) »
Yep! It looks sound to me. It seems possible that Janey Mary had a brush with the law in Hove.

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 August 19 05:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Brentor. The will looks as if the scribe was paid by the number of squiggles they could put in a single document. Nevertheless I have managed to decipher most of it. Anniple Summers is mentioned twice and so I agree, one and the same. Seems he had a healthy amount of equity in the vessel he was Master of. Thanks again for your help.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 August 19 09:14 BST (UK) »
Only too pleased to have been of assistance. Thanks for letting us know of the outcome.