Author Topic: Mystery of child of Jane Howatson  (Read 2231 times)

Offline suecolville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery of child of Jane Howatson
« on: Monday 12 August 19 09:05 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone can help me with a brick wall. I've discovered just this week on a page called Scottish indexes that my 3rd gt grandmother Jane Hewitson 1812-1849 had a child in 1840, before she married my 3x gt grandfather James Muirhead. The respondent was Robert Kennedy esq.of Riddings, Morton in Dumfries and he was ordered to support the child called Mary (although the judgement says it was a son, the OPR said it was a daughter called Mary. I can't find this child anywhere. Jane Hewitson, by then Muirhead, went on to have two children with James, Alexander in 1844 and another child called Mary in 1848. Why would she call a second child the same name? ( I know that children are sometimes named after deceased siblings but cant find a death of Mary)

Jane died in 1849. It doesn't help that there are lots and lots of Hewitsons and name variations of Howatson, Hewetson, Honatson and Hoatson.

Jane's brother Robert Hewiston b.1809 also married her husband's sister Nicholas Muirhead, just to add to the story!
Colville, Adie, Dick, Jamieson, Ponton and Turnbull-Dunfermline and Borders
Burns, Philp,Hocking, Pennaligon, Ley, Lelean, Webb, Fitzgerald,Kitto, Langdon, Yelland, (Mevagissey, Cornwall),
Muirhead,Cameron, Hewitson, Crosbie, Hume, Hewitson,Sloan, Neilson,Kerr, Cowan, Scott,Haining (SW Scotland)
Findlay,Gray,Allan, Houston,Wickham,Jamieson,Burrell, Richards,(Edinburgh, Lothians and Stonehaven)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of child of Jane Howatson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 August 19 09:23 BST (UK) »
Have you considered whether Mary might have been raised by her father’s family?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline suecolville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 August 19 11:02 BST (UK) »
it's something that I didn't consider as the child was born in 1840 and  Robert Kennedy was named as the father and ordered to pay towards the child's upkeep  in 1843. The 'pursuers' were Janet Hewitson and her husband James Muirhead.
Colville, Adie, Dick, Jamieson, Ponton and Turnbull-Dunfermline and Borders
Burns, Philp,Hocking, Pennaligon, Ley, Lelean, Webb, Fitzgerald,Kitto, Langdon, Yelland, (Mevagissey, Cornwall),
Muirhead,Cameron, Hewitson, Crosbie, Hume, Hewitson,Sloan, Neilson,Kerr, Cowan, Scott,Haining (SW Scotland)
Findlay,Gray,Allan, Houston,Wickham,Jamieson,Burrell, Richards,(Edinburgh, Lothians and Stonehaven)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 August 19 11:13 BST (UK) »
it's something that I didn't consider as the child was born in 1840 and  Robert Kennedy was named as the father and ordered to pay towards the child's upkeep  in 1843. The 'pursuers' were Janet Hewitson and her husband James Muirhead.

Maybe not very likely, but I would not rule it out completely. Perhaps Robert decided that if he was going to have to pay for the child he wanted to raise her himself.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Online ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 August 19 11:20 BST (UK) »

HEWETSON   JANET   JAMES HEWETSON/MARY KER    15/12/1812   Penpont

I’m guessing the above is your 3 x GGM – As her mother was Mary the name would be important.

As there is no baptism record on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  However the fact the child was being supported would suggest she did not die, it may be that Mary was brought by another family?

In saying that I cannot find the other children you mention on Scotland’s People?

Very few parishes have death records in Dumfriesshire.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Birnro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 October 19 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I read your post with great interest. My great great great grandfather was Robert Hewitson, husband of Nicholas Muirhead. I understood that Nicholas' brother James had married a Janet Hewitson but I see that you refer to a Jane Howatson instead.

I do not know much regarding Robert Hewitson's siblings other than he was the 9th of 11 children of James Hewetson and Mary Kerr from Penpont in Dumfriesshire. It would be good to learn more about Robert and his siblings.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 October 19 11:48 BST (UK) »
Just to note -
From the Scottish Indexes the defender was Robert Kennedy Esquire, of Dalwhat, Dalwhat, Glencairn , childs date of birth 16th April 1840.

1841 Census transcription on FreeCEN.
Glencairn , Dumfries-shire
Janet Howtson 25 female servant
Robert Kennedy 1
https://www.scottishindexes.com/41transcript.aspx?houseid=82601002

Could that be the child ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 October 19 12:16 BST (UK) »
1851 Census transcription FreeCEN.
Straiton , Ayr , Ayrshire
William Howitson 33 Sheepheard born Penpont Dumfries-shire
& family
Robert Kennedy 10 nephew scholar born Glencairn Dumfries-shire

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 October 19 12:46 BST (UK) »
Very interesting story .

I think the last solution is very likely
Is William H one of Jane's siblings?

Payment from birth father could be used to pay for child's board with a foster family .
Did this Robert Kennedy continue to use this surname all his life ?

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson