Author Topic: DOONAN - Rylands township, Omagh  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: New member
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 11:26 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 17:26 BST (UK) »
Death of your great great grandfather Charles Doonan in Camowen townland in 1906 aged 60. The informant was James Donnelly (his son-in-law).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1906/05562/4561486.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/east-omagh/cappagh-east-omagh-portion/camowen/

Party 1 Name   JAMES DONNELLY
Party 2 Name   MARGARET DOONAN
Date of Event   26 December 1900
Group Registration ID   2452613
SR District/Reg Area   Omagh
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1900/10363/5772548.pdf

KG

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 17:47 BST (UK) »

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 11:16 BST (UK) »
Charles Doonan

Marriage
Party 1 Name   CHARLES DOONAN
Party 2 Name   CATHERINE KELLY
Date of Event   13 November 1901
Group Registration ID   2496455

Groom and bride living at Ervalee (sic). Arvalee townland
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1901/10327/5759397.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/east-omagh/cappagh-east-omagh-portion/arvalee/

Death
Name   CHARLES DOONAN
Date of Death   1904
Group Registration ID   4720316
Deceased Age at Death   25

Informant is his sister, Maggie Donnelly    #222
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1904/05619/4580512.pdf

KG

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: DOONAN - Rylands township, Omagh
« Reply #24 on: Friday 22 November 19 12:57 GMT (UK) »
This is a bit off topic, but only just!  I have a branch of ancestors, named Doonin, though sometimes written as Doonan, Doonen etc.  even Dollon (and transcribed by ancestry as Dellen), in Scotland too.  Knowing that at that time, from an 1840 marriage, until about 1880's at least, such ancestors were likely to be illiterate, and also aware of the confusion caused by accent, it is not surprising that a name with so few letters, with so many vowels, caused confusion!

I have looked at Scotland's People, for Lanarkshire, and in terms of new births, of the 38 births between 1855 (1st year of civil reg in Scotland), and 1900, conforming to the Doon*n format, only 7 were Doonin, the rest were Doonan.  Of the 7, 6 were from Shotts parish, and the other was very close to it in Holytown.  I therefore assume the 'correct' spelling (if such a thing exists, or existed where nobody could read or write is clearly a moot point).  My family were the Shotts ones - In Coatbridge/Monklands as well, but that was before 1855.

Anyway, my main point is that I had never knowingly seen the name before I started on my genealogical research, and this is the first time I have seen anyone talk about people of that name on a forum. I am chuffed, as I had at times thought it was not a 'real' name, just a mishearing of another, say Doolin, Dolan, etc.  However it has to be said that after I discovered the Doonin's, and thought it was a unique name, one day I had a light bulb moment as I drove to work.  I passed a truck emblasened 'Doonin Plant', and  after a wee bit of ferreting about found it was a fair sized conglomerate in the greater Glasgow area involved in waste and waste disposal as well as tool hire.  They were indeed my relatives, based on the old 'Rag & Bone' business started in Cleland, Lanarkshire 100 years earlier!  I had been driving by their vehicles for years and never noticed them, until after I realised the name meant something to me. 

Needless to say, they went into liquidation/receivership since then, they are no more!

It is good to hear about others of this name, and to find a possible place they just might have come from.  My furthest back relative was a Francis Doonin, born about 1811 in 'Ireland', who married Catherine McIntyre (He was called Dunning on this record).  They were on the 41 census at Airdrie (Balockny Clarkston) and by 51 were at Omoa, which became part of Cleland. The mum and Dad (Frank & Catherine), seem to have 'seperated' very unusual in my family at these times. She was there with him in 51 (as Dorner according to Ancestry), but in 1861 he is on his own with 2 younger children.  Yet Catherine is on the 81 Census with her daughter Mary Dobbin ( yes she went from Doonin to Dobbin!), and as Catherine Dobbin, mother in law, in the 1891 census.  Frank disappears after the 61 census, no death to be found, except one in Dublin, which personally I discount, why would he have gone to Dublin ( or come frome there?) It is well known that the vast majority of immigrants from Ireland to central Scotland came from Ulster, like those mentioned above from Tyrone.

Anyway your posts and stories were an interesting read for me!!

Of course, it is possible that Frank came from further afield than Ulster, even Dublin, and it is possible there was another explanation of them not appearing to live together on the 1861 census,  but we do all have to make assumptions as we research, as we cant ask our ancestors directly to explain circumstances to us!!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 November 19 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Of course, it is possible that Frank came from further afield than Ulster, even Dublin, and it is possible there was another explanation of them not appearing to live together on the 1861 census,  but we do all have to make assumptions as we research, as we cant ask our ancestors directly to explain circumstances to us!!
The simple answer may be that they were merely in separate households on census night.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 23 November 19 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Well, of course that is a definite possibility! Though it was the woman and child living with him on the 1861 census (as lodgers), that made me wonder! :o
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry