Author Topic: Differing ages in 1861,1871 and 1891 census  (Read 1985 times)

Offline deedale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Differing ages in 1861,1871 and 1891 census
« on: Tuesday 13 August 19 10:00 BST (UK) »
I'm having trouble getting birth/marriage places correct for my great great grandmother. I have a Catherine Flynn born in Mallow, in 1830, married to Michael Blessington in 1851. Now I know the marriage year and the children are correct, but her age varies in the census, so I'm not sure if I've got the right Catherine at birth, meaning I can't go further back. Also they were both in England by 1851 and there are marriage records for two Catherine's in similar areas, one Bradford, one Otley in that year.

A few other trees have the same parents for the Catherine born in 1830, but it doesn't match up with her ages in the census. e.g. Michael was born in 1831, and his age in the 1861 census was 31, whilst Catherine's was 28. Then in the 1871 census he was 38, and she was 33. Again in the 1891 census, Michael was 60, and Catherine 49.  Was this a usual thing that ages weren't recalled, or misremembered so late into the 1880's, or might I have the wrong Catherine at birth in 1830?

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Differing ages in 1861,1871 and 1891 census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 10:10 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
People did forget or lie about their ages, so differing ages across census reports is not necessarily an indication of two different people. Since you have already identified two potential Catherines try researching both to see if other records will give you more evidence as to which is correct. Look for osurce documentation and do not rely on the information in other trees unless they are well sourced and have addressed the age anomalies.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat, I agree with what Craclyn has said and I have encountered the same problem. It would appear that Catherine's age in 1891 would most likely be 53 rather than 33.
It her age clearly written on the census?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline deedale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat, I agree with what Craclyn has said and I have encountered the same problem. It would appear that Catherine's age in 1891 would most likely be 53 rather than 33.
It her age clearly written on the census?
Carol
Apologies, her age was stated as 49 not 33, in 1891. Typo, which I have corrected. As Craclyn has said, I am only going by sources which I'm confident with, and they are the same two people, just that most hints seem to have her born around 1838.
Thanks to both of you. I just wasn't sure that so late into the 1880's that people would be unsure...or as Craclyn said...lie about their ages.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 10:44 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

I'm having trouble getting birth/marriage places correct for my great great grandmother. I have a Catherine Flynn born in Mallow, in 1830, married to Michael Blessington in 1851. Now I know the marriage year and the children are correct, but her age varies in the census, so I'm not sure if I've got the right Catherine at birth, meaning I can't go further back.

Also they were both in England by 1851 and there are marriage records for two Catherine's in similar areas, one Bradford, one Otley in that year.

The Parish Church, Bradford (C of E) marriage 8 April 1851 has her age as 19 and her father as John Flinn occupation Labourer.  The witnesses appear to be church officials.  Where have you seen information on a marriage in Otley
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you. I just wasn't sure that so late into the 1880's that people would be unsure...or as Craclyn said...lie about their ages.

It does happen. I have a great grandfather who dropped onto the planet in his mid-40s (possible name change) then gives a different age on each of the 5 subsequent documents for him. His reported birth year covers a span of 12 years since he lopped off 5 years each time he got married to be closer to the age of his bride  :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline deedale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 10:57 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

I'm having trouble getting birth/marriage places correct for my great great grandmother. I have a Catherine Flynn born in Mallow, in 1830, married to Michael Blessington in 1851. Now I know the marriage year and the children are correct, but her age varies in the census, so I'm not sure if I've got the right Catherine at birth, meaning I can't go further back.

Also they were both in England by 1851 and there are marriage records for two Catherine's in similar areas, one Bradford, one Otley in that year.

The Parish Church, Bradford (C of E) marriage 8 April 1851 has her age as 19 and her father as John Flinn occupation Labourer.  The witnesses appear to be church officials.  Where have you seen information on a marriage in Otley
Thank you Rosie, that's the marriage I believe to be correct, her mother being Mary Timblan. The Otley marriage was in the last quarter of 1853 from records, but I have no evidence of the husband in that record.
Also if her birth year is correct...1830...then she would have lied about her age when she got married in 1851?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 11:11 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm that her name was Flinn there is a GRO record of the birth of Mary Ann Blessington in Bradford in 4Q 1855, mother's maiden name Flinn.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 11:45 BST (UK) »
The Otley marriage was in the last quarter of 1853 from records, but I have no evidence of the husband in that record.

According to Yorkshire BMD, there was a marriage between Catherine Flynn and Stephen Douglas in 1853 in a Registered Building in the Otley District.

This could have been either the Register Office or a non-conformist place of worship. I don't have time to check the online non-conformist records at present - maybe someone else could?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk