Author Topic: Place of death 1961 help needed please  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Place of death 1961 help needed please
« on: Thursday 15 August 19 14:50 BST (UK) »
I am way outside my usual research area here :-) I've tracked this lady from County Durham, over to and back from Canada then, having spent ages looking,  finally find she died in Scotland.

I have a death register entry for a Mary Young HOPPER, died 15 June 1961, aged 87.
District of Montrose, Dun and Maryton, County of Angus and was registered at Montrose.

The where died part says:
Hillhead, Hillside, usual residence Gowanbank House, Colliston and the informant was an Alexander -(squiggle, which may say McM...), Occupier

Entry above it has the same informant Alexander squiggle, occupier of Hillhead, Hillside and both deaths were from 'senile decay'.

Having googled my fingers to the bone, I see there was a psychiatric hospital in that area. In 1961 it was called the Royal Mental Hospital of Montrose (later Sunnyside Royal Hospital) and am wondering if perhaps they had patients who possibly suffered with advanced Alzheimers ?

Oddly, though Angus council say their cemetery records are all on deceased online, I can't find a burial
record for her - though can see there is a crematorium not too far away so I can try contacting them.

Questions:
1 Can anyone with local knowledge tell me if I am on the right track with this hospital?
2 If anyone has any idea of churchyards/other cemeteries she may be in that perhaps don't come under the Angus council records?
3 Is there a library in the area that may have old local newspapers of the time? If I can source a death notice that may help track down where she was buried/cremated.

Thanks

Boo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Place of death 1961 help needed please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 August 19 14:59 BST (UK) »
Oddly, though Angus council say their cemetery records are all on deceased online, I can't find a burial record for her
That does not surprise me. I have come across more than one stone in cemeteries in Angus whose occupants (if that is the right word) do not feature in the Angus Council's burial records.

though can see there is a crematorium not too far away so I can try contacting them.
I am fairly sure that in 1961 the only crematoria were either Dundee or Aberdeen. The nearest one, at Parkgrove, Friockheim, did not exist in 1961 - it opened in 1993.

1 Can anyone with local knowledge tell me if I am on the right track with this hospital?
Yes, you are spot on. Sunnyside was a vast mental and geriatric hospital. It served a very wide area of Angus and Kincardineshire.

2 If anyone has any idea of churchyards/other cemeteries she may be in that perhaps don't come under the Angus council records?
Not to my knowledge.

3 Is there a library in the area that may have old local newspapers of the time?
Montrose Public Library has microfilm of the Montrose local paper, the name of which escapes me.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 August 19 15:09 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Forfarian, I'll contact the library and enquire about a death notice.
I am aware there may not have been one, or the library staff may not have time to look, but ever optimistic !

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 August 19 16:24 BST (UK) »
Just to update (in case anyone is looking for this lady and finds this post in years to come)

I did contact the library and the lady there kindly searched through old newspapers for me.
Sadly there is no death notice, but at least I now know that and am very grateful for the assistance of the librarian.

Back to the drawing board to try to find where she was buried.

She can join the ever growing list of those who resolutely refuse to be found and I'll come back to her at a later date :-)

Boo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 August 19 18:00 BST (UK) »
Colliston is in the parish of St Vigeans, and is nearer Arbroath than Montrose. I wonder if the Arbroath Herald would be worth a try?

I think Arbroath Public Library has a microfilm of archive issues of the AH.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 August 19 18:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian, I'll make enquiries.

Boo

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 August 19 16:11 BST (UK) »
Try Dundee University Archives too - they have the records for Sunnyside Hospital, so while they may not be able to provide any clinical information if she was a patient, they may be able to confirm if Hillhead, Hillside was the address of the hospital as recorded on the death certificates. Their contact details can be found on their website at www.dundee.ac.uk/archives

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 August 19 16:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you, have noted that and will give it a go.

Boo

Offline emilywilsonmcfarland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 April 23 18:53 BST (UK) »
I am aware I'm a bit late to the party but wondering if there has been any confirmation of Hillhead, Hillside confirmed as the address of the hospital? I too have a death register from same era (1957) that also has Alexander 'McLoughan?' Occupier as the informant.