Author Topic: Nash family in Southport lancashire  (Read 5035 times)

Offline davetur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nash family in Southport lancashire
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 09:38 BST (UK) »
I now have a copy of the will of Eva Nash who died on 29 April 2006. The will is dated 24 March shortly before her death. However this Eva Nash is not the one I was searching for, her address is in Clay Cross Chesterfield. The main bequests are to her three sons, one of whom has an interesting middle name: Hartley. So this Eva might be related by marriage to Joseph W Nash (uncle to my Eva Nash) who married Emily Hartly (sept 1913 Chorlton). I will blow another £1.50 on the will of Eva Girling to see what that one shows.
Price
Gibson
Annetts
Burrill
Turton
Wray
Steer
Nash
Stafford
De Burgh
Todkill

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 12:23 BST (UK) »
Your lady died as Eva Annette Nash, Kent February 2006.

See reply #34.

The probate record is in the name of Girling. Let’s hope there is something useful there  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davetur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 02 September 19 12:57 BST (UK) »
I now have the will of Eva Annette Girling, 'otherwise known as Eva Annette Nash'. This confirms this person as the Nash who married Fred Girling and the women who appeared on the 1939 registration with Brian Hubert Nash. Sadly Brian died on 10 Aug 2010 and a brief obituary can be found in the Basingstoke Gazette (via Google). The will also lists a son who I presume is still alive and has the same name as the person who appears in the electoral register in Curtismill close. There are clearly several living relatives, so I still some chance to make contact with some of them and perhaps get a photograph of Eva. Brian's middle name does seem to confirm  Hubert De Burgh as his father, though not so clear for his brother.
Price
Gibson
Annetts
Burrill
Turton
Wray
Steer
Nash
Stafford
De Burgh
Todkill

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 02 September 19 13:52 BST (UK) »
That’s good news.

Have you verified Eva’s father’s name through the marriage to Fred Girling?

I have some concerns which are difficult to discuss because of living persons.

There are two other  (presumed) sons in Electoral registers besides the one already found and named.

There is a published tree which mentions Eva and ‘spouse’  Hubert E Nash.

Through the tree, there is a marriage for one unnamed son (still living?) of Eva and this can be traced through marriage indexes.

Looking at birth indexes for the two later Nash men, mother’s maiden name matches but is not Nash.

Therefore, there are now possibly two sons from a different relationship plus the one already known.

On the other hand, the tree may be wrong or your Eva, who gave birth in Southport, may be a different person.

I hope you can follow this but as you have the electoral registers you will have seen the names.

Offline davetur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 02 September 19 14:52 BST (UK) »
Eva's will lists only two sons, one grandchild and the respective partners /spouses. The newspaper obituary for Brian Nash lists his wife, children and grandchildren.
I'm waiting for Eva's birth certificate (to confirm or otherwise her date of birth). I might then move on to the Fred Girling marriage.
Eva's will only gives two sons, the now deceased Brian and one other, who may have married , but I presume is living with another woman at the time the will was drafted. I found this son on the Curtismill electoral register and he is listed more recently with his partner as cab drivers in D****** (easy to find with Google).
I can't see how there was time for any more children to be born to Eva! The 1939 register only has one name redacted, so Brian and one other who must be a little younger than Brian. A return to London after the war in 1945, then a marriage to Fred Girling in 1956.
I don't have access to the published tree, but I presume this is a part of Eva's grand-daughter's (Sarah) family. The will shows she has married and hence is not a Nash. I don't understand Hubert E Nash at all, he should be De Burgh after all. Though I cannot find any marriage.
Price
Gibson
Annetts
Burrill
Turton
Wray
Steer
Nash
Stafford
De Burgh
Todkill

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 02 September 19 14:59 BST (UK) »
I will pm you with a name to see if it is the one you have.

Offline davetur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 11:21 BST (UK) »
I now have the birth certificate for Eva Nash, born in Chorlton, 11 June 1905. Parents Albert Edward Nash and Mary Nash formerly Todkill. Address is 61 Barlow Street. As you will remember the Baptism record recorded the birth as 19 June 1905, I guess the vicar had been at the communion wine that morning. That DOB is exactly the same as for our Eva Annette Girling / Nash (from the death and 1939 register), so ties those two people together as one. I don't know when the Annette middle name came in, but not at birth anyway.
I can get back to the crazy relationships that Eva had and the four children by various partners. I think this may take some time.
Price
Gibson
Annetts
Burrill
Turton
Wray
Steer
Nash
Stafford
De Burgh
Todkill

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 11:37 BST (UK) »
That confirms all the findings which we had become reasonably sure of but still leaves the need to confirm that Eva who gave birth in Southport is the same Eva whose life you now have uncovered.
The address given may not have been her parents but an electoral search may solve that.

If she is the same person, her family may not know of the first child so that may be difficult.

It all seems to fit so well though.

Offline SarahjaneO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 24 September 19 19:41 BST (UK) »
This is very exciting.  My grandmother was the Eva Nash in this post.  The news that she may have had a daughter before her 3 sons does not surprise us in the least.  We are quite a large family of Nash's and would love to have any information on other members of the Nash family.  There are 2 surviving sons my father and my uncle.  My father has 6 children and 10 grandchildren with a great grandchild recently born.  My uncle has 4 children and not quite sure how many grandchildren (about 10 or so).  It would be lovely to have any information about Joyce who would be my aunt I presume.