Author Topic: What became of Thomas Scott?  (Read 543 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
What became of Thomas Scott?
« on: Sunday 18 August 19 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thomas lived in Maddington, and had married Ruth George there in 1818. She was buried there in 1857. Thomas was born about 1782 (according to the 1851 Census), but I cannot find a death registration or burial for him. The one I had down as being him, upon closer inspection of both the GRO index and the burial entry itself, was for a Thomas Scott who died aged 3 days in 1853. Maddington’s church is now redundant, so it may have been in Shrewton. One of his sons, my ancestor John Scott, moved to Longbridge Deverill near Warminster. Maddington was in the Amesbury registration district.

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What became of Thomas Scott?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 August 19 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is burial for Thomas Scott of Shrewston 8-1-1875 aged 95 years in Maddington.

The original registers are available to view on anc...y, if you have a  sub.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 August 19 11:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks! I had no idea he lived that long. I’ll find it on FindMyPast now.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 August 19 12:06 BST (UK) »
Got the details noted down. Apparently he had a headstone too! It’s featured on the Wiltshire Memorial Inscription Index.

Having found him on the 1861 and 1871 Censuses, he says he was born in Figheldean. I can’t find a christening for him there (age ranges from 1779 to 1782). Can anyone help?

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 August 19 12:26 BST (UK) »
Have found one in 1787!