Author Topic: Gladys Saul & John C. Patterson Marriage ?????  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Peter Stines

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gladys Saul & John C. Patterson Marriage ?????
« on: Thursday 22 August 19 16:00 BST (UK) »
Looking for a marriage record for John Corman Patterson and Gladys Mary Saul. Problems are: (1) Not sure where they married. John was born in Ontario Welland County Thorold Township in 1903. He divorced his first wife Lucy Atell in 1937. He was living in Toronto by 1947. Died in 1949. (I have all that info) Problem (2) Gladys Saul was born in Meaford in 1908. (I have her date of birth)  I don't know when she married John Patterson or where. Gladys died June 12, 1983 in Meaford. Maybe they just lived together as common-law ? I tried to find a death certificate but no luck. Also looked for an obit. No luck there either.  >:(
Campbell, Staines, Smith, Wolfean, Wilson, Donley, Dearnally, Blair, Comstock, Corman, Stines, Fiesel, Tschiedel, Becker, Gute, Merritt, Lawrence, Stevenson, McSparran, McCullum, Walker, Hamilton, Boulmay, Clegg,Atell, Patterson, Zogott, Getts, Harrison,

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gladys Saul & John C. Patterson Marriage ?????
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 August 19 16:13 BST (UK) »
I haven't a clue right now, but to narrow it down for the next person:
Do you know where he was living when he divorced Lucy Atell in 1937? and where Gladys was in 1937?
Have you found John and Gladys together on a record? How early?

I noticed the 1947 Toronto Directory does not put a wife's name in parentheses with her husband, as do most US directories. There were no common addresses for the three Gladys Pattersons and any of the John or John C Pattersons.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 August 19 06:02 BST (UK) »
The 1945 Voter's list has John C Patterson (engineer) and Gladys Patterson at 5 Thirty-second St., York West.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 August 19 06:15 BST (UK) »
1949 Directory York West, Ontario
John C Patterson, steam engineer
Gladys Patterson
Address 404 Lake Promenade

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 August 19 07:06 BST (UK) »
I'd check New York as well for the marriage. His first wife Lucy remarried 29 July 1937 in Buffalo New York.

John Patterson went to USA, 5 January 1928 he was staying 2 months, a truck driver. Parents Robert and Nellie. His birth date wrongly transcribed as 19 Feb 1904 but the card reads 9 September 1904.
One year off I know.
Description, 5' 11", auburn hair, brown eyes, medium complexion.

Then under alien arrivals from Canadian ports 1937 is a Gladys Patterson and a John C Patterson. Could be a different couple though.     

ADDED could Gladys have also been married before in which case her surname would not be Saul?

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 August 19 13:49 BST (UK) »
The online marriage records for Ontario on Ancestry only go til 1937.  Up to 1948 are available through the Ontario Archives.

Offline Peter Stines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 August 19 15:03 BST (UK) »
According to his funeral record John was living at 404 Lake Promenade Long Branch in 1949. Gladys signed the receipt as "Patterson". John was an engineer at the time of his death but I didn't know about the truck driver bit. He had tried to join the Mounties but was rejected because the tip of his right index finger was missing. (trigger finger) When he divorced Lucy he was in Toronto but that's all I have. (I have part of the divorce record as filed in Buffalo NY) I don't know if Gladys was married before. When John died she moved back in with her mother in Meaford. I did find some of the Sauls in Grey Ontario. She had a brother named Clifford. Gladys died June 12, 1983. I don't know if there is a will for either one  ???
Campbell, Staines, Smith, Wolfean, Wilson, Donley, Dearnally, Blair, Comstock, Corman, Stines, Fiesel, Tschiedel, Becker, Gute, Merritt, Lawrence, Stevenson, McSparran, McCullum, Walker, Hamilton, Boulmay, Clegg,Atell, Patterson, Zogott, Getts, Harrison,

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 August 19 15:34 BST (UK) »
Her brother was registered as George Clifford Saul born 14 April 1894 however the birth was not registered until 1895.
The 1901 census has his birth as 14 April 1893.
He shaved a few years off his age when he married said he was 32 (1897) his wife Mabel Blanche Rawlings was 19.
The last voter registration list on line -ancestry is 1962 and he is on Henry Street, Meaford. 

Offline Peter Stines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 August 19 15:19 BST (UK) »
Wow! I never have this much luck when I search!!! Gladys birth name was Saul. I believe her mother's maiden name was Wakefield. But there is also the name Cruckshank in the tree. Ancestry seems to be Irish.  :-\