Author Topic: Lair certificate - Neilston  (Read 1772 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lair certificate - Neilston
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 14:00 BST (UK) »
Indeed, although in England - where rules may be different - in order to renovate my grandparents grave a couple of years ago I had to register as 'an interested party' in the grave; I could not transfer ownership as the owner, my uncle, had died in 1978 and in that London borough ownership had to be transferred by a living owner. I understand that an 'interested party' will be informed of any changes at the cemetery & is the person who can apply for changes or ashes to be buried.

Certainly it is the local council's Bereavement Department who usually hold the ownership details. Recently I have had the ownership of two graves [great grandmother & great aunt/uncle] transferred by the executor of the previous owner.

I have to say that transfer of grave ownership is not something one usually thinks about when writing a will, but needs to be included. Reminder to self - put a note in my will!!
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 September 19 21:44 BST (UK) »
I actually don't think it needs to be specified in any will but usually wills have a "coverall" clause for anything that needs ownership transferred. Lairs are property and should have transferred under the laws of testacy or intestacy as the case maybe (that is my understanding anyway)
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 September 19 10:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, good point; but unless I put a note in my will, with details of local authorities involved. I don't think anyone will remember after I die that I was the 'interested party' in one grave & owner of 2 others.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 September 19 10:20 BST (UK) »
I actually don't think it needs to be specified in any will but usually wills have a "coverall" clause for anything that needs ownership transferred. Lairs are property and should have transferred under the laws of testacy or intestacy as the case maybe (that is my understanding anyway)

The situation with lairs is slightly more complicated in that when you purchase a lair you are not buying the land but rather contracting a "right of burial" (along with the "right" to erect a headstone) within the terms of the contract with the landowner (usually local council).

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 07:50 BST (UK) »
I'm haven't been getting notified of new replies, think I have fixed that.

At the time for the permission from East Renfrewshire Council, an indemnity form was signed by my wife, as there was no lair certificate available.

The last interment in the lair was of the registered lairwowner in 1981.

Mick

Can I ask ow you managed to place a headstone on the grave without a Lair Certificate belonging to yourself/your wife? It is only the Lair owner that can do so.
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland