Author Topic: St Albans Pontypool 1862 - HAMILTON  (Read 1996 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Albans Pontypool 1862 - HAMILTON
« Reply #27 on: Friday 30 August 19 20:39 BST (UK) »
not sure what the explanation is for the birth regs of the sisters.

Winifred was registered jun qtr 1900 Newport mmn Burke, no birth registered for Bridget. Winifred enumerated as 3 on the 1901 census, Bridget 1.
1911 Winifred is 13
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW6J-BQD

and Bridget is 11
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW6J-BQH

Marriage under both names march qtr 1923 to Mr Wainwright, but only one marriage.

Possible second marriage for Bridget Wainwright in 1944 and then death as Bridget Insley in 1997 giving dob as 13 March 1900.
Death reg for Winifred Hamilton 1979 Newport giving dob as 16 Aug 1897. If this is the right person, there's a 1939 record for her in Cardiff & she is unmarried according to free index.

It's as if when Bridget was born, they realised that Winifred hadn't been registered, and tried to make one registration cover both girls.   ???
The National Archives hold some records for the Nazareth House in Cardiff. Not sure how much it would cost.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2256249

Nazareth House has an archivist, details here
http://www.formerchildrenshomes.org.uk/nazareth_house.html
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Megabite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 31 August 19 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Osprey,
I just checked the GRO from the date you gave for Winifred Hamilton's birth and there is a partial match HAMILTON, WINIFRED  ANNIE     MMN READ  GRO Reference: 1897  S Quarter in OF CARDIFF  Volume 11A  Page 418 its just the mothers maiden name that is off, I am thinking I may need to order that one, perhaps there was a mistake recording the first name of Bridget but I will wait for the marriage certificate as it should be on its way to me, unfortunately being on the other side of the planet I have another 10 days after dispatch to wait for its arrival, wish they could do PDF's like the birth and death LOL.
I wish my skills and brain worked as fast as yours, I have contacted Nazareth House previously (about 10 years ago) regarding the girls and had some information.  I just cant remember the details at the moment, my poor memory forces me to focus on one piece at a time or its all a jumble.  It will probably take me a couple of weeks to make it through all the info you have given me regarding the Johnstone connection, it appears you may have 'found' the birth record I was searching for as I was probably looking for the wrong name!
Rootschat has an amazing group of people.
I remember before posting reading the rules and there was something I was meant to do when the query had been resolved and I think in this case it is resolved, I just cant remember what it is LOL.

Offline Megabite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 31 August 19 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Osprey,
I just had a moment of clarity after reading your post.  I think I know what happened with the girls.  I think Winifreds name was put in error on Bridgets birth certificate and it was only noticed when she went to get married which would explain the double marriage record.  It sounds somehow logical LOL.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 31 August 19 08:06 BST (UK) »
I just checked the GRO from the date you gave for Winifred Hamilton's birth and there is a partial match HAMILTON, WINIFRED  ANNIE     MMN READ  GRO Reference: 1897  S Quarter in OF CARDIFF  Volume 11A  Page 418 its just the mothers maiden name that is off.

That one is in Cardiff in 1901 with her parents Alfred and Florence. Also there is Alfred's mother in law Annie Read.
Winifred A Hamilton, 3, born Cardiff
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X91T-473

Death reg for Winifred Hamilton 1979 Newport giving dob as 16 Aug 1897. If this is the right person, there's a 1939 record for her in Cardiff & she is unmarried according to free index.

That date of birth would also of course fit Winifred Annie born Cardiff, but that one probably married Frank Lane in 1923. If so, she died in 1980 and her date of birth was 23 July 1897.

I fear that it is possible that Margaret was not in the greatest of states around 1896-99 if she was the woman living in Newport in the newspapers.

Offline Megabite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 31 August 19 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonw65,
Just when i was thinking I had a lot to work through you posted this and totally intrigued me.
I fear that it is possible that Margaret was not in the greatest of states around 1896-99 if she was the woman living in Newport in the newspapers.
I have never looked at the newspapers before as I never thought my family would be famous or infamous enough to be in them. 
I tried looking at Ancestry Newspapers for the timeframe you mentioned and they have records for three papers the UK Police Gazettes, Andrews Newspaper info cards and The Railway Gazette but when I tried to search Newport or Margaret or Hamilton there were no results. 
Do you know which paper or which genealogy site I need to look this info up as I am very curious.  I have some bits and pieces of info but would like to read more knowing that it is highly likely she was not in the 'greatest of states' at this time.
Thanks very much
Angela :-)

Offline Megabite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 31 August 19 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonw65,

I found it, google searched instead and found a whole new website I had never seen before (Welsh Newspapers Online).  I have some reading to do LOL.
Thanks for the point in the direction I will see if it links into any known family facts.
Thanks again
Angela :-)