Author Topic: JAMACIA For William and Thomas Breakspear  (Read 1734 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JAMACIA For William and Thomas Breakspear
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 19:43 BST (UK) »
I know that it is important to have the details re your Thomas, I was just trying to tidy up the Jamaican Thomas.

I can’t see much(if anything)on a Newspaper search on FindMyPast but there may be something in local newspapers of the time about the brothers’ departure or business.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 22:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you heywood for suggesting local newspapers to search on.   I am going to the Archive Dept at the main Birmingham Library in a couple of weeks, booked in to view documents, so I will see what they might have.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hopefully, there will be something. You would think so if they were businessmen.
Maybe there would be an  1843 marriage announcement to Sarah Cadwell  other than the Colonial Magazine.
The Williams family (Sarah’s father the deceased John Williams) is mentioned in various Jamaican records.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 15:01 BST (UK) »
I hope all all works out and the Birth Cert confirms info.

I havent found Thomas in 1841 Census and looked for a possible Marriage for Eliza Salmon but there are several.
I was hoping to find Thomas in 1841 with his Mother now possibly married.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 17:36 BST (UK) »
I know Trish 1120, I want it all nice and clear and obvious, great when it is, but sadly more often it isn't.

Other family members (in Australia) have suggested the mother could have been Eliza Ann Breakspear born 1811,   sister of Thomas Breakspear born 1817.  She had been married to Walter Showell, he had died 1835.   She re-married in 1840.  But there is no evidence for this and who was the father anyway.   They thought the baptism entry had been 'massaged' so it didn't make her look bad, and it was nearly 12 months after the birth - time they thought to decide what to say !  But the birth cert presumably will have been issued at the time of his birth in 1839, so we will see. 

On the marriage cert. for Thomas in 1866 it says his father is Thomas Breakspear Salmon, Factor.  But again things were made up to suit the circumstances of the time on both birth and marriage certificates !  Might yet have to let it go and accept his parents will never be truthfully known.

I have details of John Breakspear's siblings but nothing on Emma Salmon's  siblings or parents.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 August 19 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hope the Cert will clear it up.

If you reply to this I will be notified. This will prompt my memory!

I am going away for a few days so when I get back will see what I can find on the Salmons. :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 August 19 15:09 BST (UK) »
Couldnt help myself :)

EMRY Salmon
Christening Date: 26 Jul 1771
CHIPPING NORTON,OXFORD,ENGLAND
Father's Name:   
JNO. Salmon
Mother's Name:   
ANN

Siblings;
WILLIAM 03 JUN 1762
HENRY 30 Mar 1769
EMERY (Female) 21 Sep 1775**********
THOMAS 6 August 1773

1851 Census has a Henry Salmon Head 82 born Chipping Norton, Oxon

So 1st Emry (Emma) must gave died.

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 August 19 17:21 BST (UK) »
I am so glad you couldn't resist!  Thank you so much.   I will say it again  - how do you folks do it ?!   Did you find it on Family Search ?   I have cancelled my Ancestry membership from this month - it encouraged me to spend far too much time sitting in front of this computer.  But I will go to local library to use it for free.

There is website  - morganfourman - which has details about John Breakspear and his daughter Eliza Ann, which has given some helpful details.   Don't think this Breakspear family is related 'the' Breakspear brewing family, but there are a number of connections with brewing and wine in this family.  Eliza Ann's son, Walter Showell, went on to become major brewer in Birmingham in 1880's according to this website.

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 August 19 15:40 BST (UK) »
Trish1120   Unfortunately the birth certificate sent for  Thomas Salmon - father Thomas Breakspear Salmon and mother Eliza ? was not the one.  The mother was shown as Catherine Salmon. Single woman.  Her Thomas born in May, 'my' Thomas born in January 1839.     If only we / I could find Thomas on 1841 census, surely he would be with his mother or at least a recognised family member.

Ah well, that's how it goes.  At least I am doing some more research on your great find of Emma Salmon's family.  It appears her brother Henry was a Wool stapler, and as they were living in Witney, Oxfordshire ever likely to work for the Witney blanket company - they were considered the best blankets to buy !    So have found 2 websites related to that trade to explore.