Author Topic: Any Blyth Hudson families?  (Read 745 times)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any Blyth Hudson families?
« on: Sunday 25 August 19 16:20 BST (UK) »
I 'm a little perplexed with a 'Hudson' connection to my Blyth ancestors.

In the 1871 census there is an 'Emma Maria Hudson' aged 1 classed as a lodger living with my 3 x Great Grandparents in Ridley Street Blyth.  By the 1881 census she is classed as 'adopted daughter'.  In both census returns her birthplace is given as Lysden Farm, Blyth.

In the GRO  records there is no surname given for the mother so I assume her mother was a Hudson.  After the 1881 census I can find no more records for Emma Maria Hudson (or searching under Dixon which was the name of my 3 x greatgrandparents)

I'm intruiged by this girl, as to who she was and who were her family.  There is a family story of my Great Grandmother (Granddaughter to my 3 x Great Grandparents) finding an abandoned baby In some offices she was  cleaning and the child being adopted into the family.  However I've never found any evidence of a child being adopted into this generation. However my Great Grandmothers mother was living with her parents as a 12 year old when the child is first listed as living with the family.  I'm wondering if it could be this generation where the 'abandoned ' baby was adopted by the family.  This seems more probable especially as my 2 x Great Grandmother went on to name my Great Grandmother Emma the first Emma in the family.

If anyone has any Hudson connections to Blyth are they able to shed any light on who Emma Maria Hudson was?

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Any Blyth Hudson families?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 August 19 10:46 BST (UK) »
Have you ordered the birth certificate of the child from the GRO,
it might make it simpler to search for her birth mother,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 August 19 13:40 BST (UK) »
Re: the abandoned baby in an office story.  If that was true - how did the child come to have a name and surname corresponding to a birth registration?

This child's mother was clearly known to the Dixon's
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 August 19 13:48 BST (UK) »
Haven't as yet ordered the birth certificate, this is my next move.

There's a lot of Blyth folk on here so i hoped someone knew of the Hudsons and could answer how this child came to live with the Dixons. 

Not sure if the abandoned baby is ĺinked to this person or is an easy way to explain an illegitimate child further down the generation.

There may be a Hudson link further down through the relatives, Barbara Dixon (who 'adopted' the child) had a Great Nephew with the middle name Hudson.

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 August 19 14:54 BST (UK) »
I come from Blyth, and my maternal grandparents, who lived there, were Dixon. They died in the late 1940s. But I think they originated from York.
I have a vague memory of a boy at BGS called Hudson - I'll let you know if I recall more.
It's just come back - Peter Hudson, he was the same age as me, born 1935-6. A very clever boy. He lived in Seaton Sluice, near the end of the road from Seaton Delaval.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow