Author Topic: William Oakes - Dublin Court Records 30/7/1851?  (Read 528 times)

Offline Mills1960

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Oakes - Dublin Court Records 30/7/1851?
« on: Monday 26 August 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
William Oakes (ex Cumberland Regiment) - convicted of striking his superior and of desertion 30/7/1851, transported on the ship "Lord Dalhousie", arriving Van Diemen's Land/Tasmania 14/8/1852 (Ref: Tasmania Archives Convict Con 33-1-109).
Are there any records of this case, that could be looked up, and do they provide any further information that might confirm exactly where he was from or any other family details?
It was shown on the ships conduct record that William was from Derby.  This document and his death certificate indicate he was born circa 1829.
I am also hoping to find any records available from when William went into the Cumberland Regiment as trying to confirm who his parents where (I expect I may have to request this on another board).
William married in Tasmania and had children.  His wife was murdered on 31/8/1886.  William was convicted of her murder and died in the Campbell Street Gaol in Hobart, Tasmania on 5/6/1887.
He is my great great great grandfather.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Oakes - Dublin Court Records 30/7/1851?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 August 19 12:54 BST (UK) »
Private William Oakes (2796) was with 34th (Cumberland) Regiment in Londonderry in the first few months of 1851 (British Army, Worldwide Index 1851). It appears that his army file has not survived.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk