Author Topic: Mary Catherine Lloyd, Born Jan 1890, Family Myth Lived in Scotland from 1910 ?  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Catherine Lloyd, Born Jan 1890, Family Myth Lived in Scotland from 1910 ?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 18:38 BST (UK) »
Have a look at the marriage in 1926 on the GRO (or FREEBMD) for Giraldus Howells and Gwladys Lloyd/Bevan. It is the only cert I have seen with two surnames for a single party
I have seen several on FreeBMD with two names for the same person, usually when a woman has been widowed or divorced and them remarried.

And of course all Scottish remarriage certificates should include all previous surnames.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Catherine Lloyd, Born Jan 1890, Family Myth Lived in Scotland from 1910 ?
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 18:52 BST (UK) »
Not this way …….The superintendent registrar said in thirty years service  this is the only example seen like this...……. of not the registration which you are referring to( I too have seen quite a number) ...but the marriage certificate itself containing two distinct surnames in the brides surname panel.

For  part of this enquiry I would not be troubling you at all if  I could search the Scottish 1911 census ...odd I can access the 1940 USA CENSUS  but not the 1911 Scottish on Anc . I wonder why ?

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 18:53 BST (UK) »
What I should have confirmed was this woman was neither widowed ordivorced

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 19:07 BST (UK) »
For  part of this enquiry I would not be troubling you at all if  I could search the Scottish 1911 census ...odd I can access the 1940 USA CENSUS  but not the 1911 Scottish on Anc . I wonder why?
Because the Registrar General for Scotland decided not to allow Ancestry or any other of the commercial web sites to access the 1911 census.

It's very easy to access it on the Scotland's People web site. The index, which is all you would get on a commercial web site anyway, is free to search, and a few shillings will buy you an image of the original document.

There are just 24 Lloyds aged 18 to 22 in the index, including two 20-year-old Marys, both in Pollokshields.

One of them is in a household with seven other Lloyds.
The other is in a household with five other Lloyds.

So it looks as if neither of them is your Mary.

Have you followed up Reply #15 above?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help . So she  went by the name Catherine maybe ??

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 21:07 BST (UK) »
There is no Catherine Lloyd aged 18 to 22 in Scotland in the 1911 census index.

If she is the one who travelled to New York in 1907, and if she didn't come back, she may not have been called Catherine.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 22:19 BST (UK) »

If she is the one who travelled to New York in 1907, and if she didn't come back, she may not have been called Catherine.

This one was going to an Aunt Mrs Sarah Williams in New Jersey  and lists her father as Enoch Lloyd   ....She is also with her Aunt & Uncle on the 1910 New Jersey

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 22:27 BST (UK) »
While in Stockton they left their first born daughter Margaret 1869 to "Board" (That's "Stay" in your vernacular )
Actually, it's not.

'Board' implies that she was being looked after, housed and fed. 'Stay' can mean a whole range of things including both temporary and permanent residence, depending on the context, but it doesn't imply anything about being looked after, housed and fed.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 22:52 BST (UK) »
"They "adopt" Gwladys Bevan and name her  Lloyd on the next census.
Have a look at the marriage in 1926 on the GRO (or FREEBMD) for Giraldus Howells and Gwladys Lloyd/Bevan. It is the only cert I have seen with two surnames for a single party"

As she was known by both names it looks as though she's stipulated such i.e. given her name as well as 'aka' which seems to have been recorded but you will only know from the original just exactly what was written.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"