Author Topic: Peter Conroy - 1911 Census  (Read 1454 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Conroy - 1911 Census
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 10:32 BST (UK) »
Just jumping in here and I am not at home now to access my records but I do think these are people in my family tree.  However, you have Mary (Ann) Allen married to James Conroy in the first post.  I believe she was actually married to Joseph Conroy who was the brother of my Great x 2 Grandfather James Conroy.

Joseph married Mary Ann Allen as Joseph Gilroy, I believe, at St Alban, Earsdon - 19 May 1862.

I have found that my Conroy ancestors were occasionally under the alias name of Gilroy.  This was noted once for them (my bloodline ancestors - James and Elizabeth Conroy) in a court case.  I had suspected that they were sometimes going under  this alias and when this was noted in a newspaper this confirmed this for me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/illustratedchronicleww1/16249602170/in/album-72157650219179898/

Just as an aside - Joseph's son Edward married Margaret Ann Gallagher.  This Edward was killed in the Great War on 1 March 1915.  There is an Illustrated Chronicle photo for him.

I do remember from my records that Peter was baptised on 15 November 1874 (I think at St Robert, Morpeth but I would have to check for sure when I get back). 

Again, from memory I recall that Elspeth Young's father was called Charles - brother in law of Mary Ann - can't remember off the top of my head which sister he married.  Mary Ann's father was a Robert Allen.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline LynnMU1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the responses, I will respond to all questions tomorrow after I have got my head around all the information.

(Yes you are correct river tyne lass about joseph and mary allen I wrote james by accident, do you have a tree anywhere I can look at for further info, I am very happy to have found a distant relation.

I have got one on ancestry and i am slowly adding all the information as i have got more written down to add).

Thanks again

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn,

I am very happy too to have found a distant relation on here! :D  I think we must be 'cousins' of some degree through our joint bloodline ancestors James Conroy and his wife Mary Malloy.  As you might know already these ancestors were Irish travellers.

I don't have a tree up on Ancestry so unfortunately you can't see my info/research publicly.  However, I am happy to send you my email by pm and I am more than happy to share any information I have. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 09:17 BST (UK) »
I looked at my notes for Peter's baptism last night and saw that this was  carried out at St Cuthbert, Cowpen on 15 November 1874 and not St Robert.

I have brother Robert born 23 July 1871 but belatedly baptised at St Robert, Morpeth on 11 May 1896. 

Brother William is down as born 14 February 1880 and baptised 25 March 1880 at St Bede, Bedlington.

Joseph Michael born 15 November 1882 and baptised 31 December 1882 at St Bede, Bedlington.

Mark Conroy baptised 1 June 1873, St Cuthbert Cowpen but sadly appears to have died in 1880 aged only 7.

In 1891, I have noted that William, Joseph, and Thomas were all in Morpeth Union workhouse, sadly.

I also see that by 1891 Elspeth was married to Edward Simm and also had Robert Conroy age 20 living in her household where she was living at Pegswood.

Brother Edward married Margaret Gallagher on 24 August 1889 at St Robert, Morpeth.  Father's Joseph Conroy and John Gallagher.

I see that one of their children 'Helena' born 3 January 1908 and baptised 11 January 1908 had a sponsor (Godparent 'Helena Rooney') who will presumably be the Ellen you have mentioned.

Another child, Margaret Theresa born 16 January 1900 baptised at St Robert had Godparents James Conroy and Bridget Gilboy.  I suspect Bridget (married to James Gilboy) was the daughter of Peter and Ann Conroy nee Miller. Before Ann married Peter she had been married to Daniel McBride and I believe before that she had been using the alias name of Smith.

I will stop here with the Conroy baptisms etc as otherwise this post will run over long ..  I have tried to keep brief but seem to have ran on a bit anyway  ;D

I definitely agree with you, by the way, about how frustrating it is that our ancestors kept repeating the names.