Author Topic: John Forrester of Ashentree Farm baptism record? Help please!  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Rose78bne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Forrester of Ashentree Farm baptism record? Help please!
« on: Monday 26 August 19 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Trying to trace my 6 x great grandfather, John Forrester of Ashentree Farm in Kilmadock. He was married to Helen Shaw. I keep discovering websites and trees which suggest John was born sometime between 1728-1732, and that his parents were Robert Forrester and Margaret Graham. However, I cannot find an actual baptism record stating this anywhere. There are baptism records for his siblings William, Ann and Elizabeth (all baptised in Kippen), but nothing for him. Just wanted to check whether I was missing something as so many people seem to consider John a child of Robert and Margaret. I'd really like to find out if these are indeed his parents.

If anyone is able to help me find evidence of his baptism then that would be lovely, please!

Thank you!

Rose

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
Re: John Forrester of Ashentree Farm baptism record? Help please!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 02:59 BST (UK) »
I found two baptisms between 1725-1735, one at Canonbie parish in Dumfriesshire, in December 1727 to William FORESTER and Helen SCOTT.
The second was baptised on the 19 July 1728 at Alloa parish in Clackmannonshire, Parents are John FORESTER and Hellan DICKIE.

hope one of those is who you are looking for.

Cheers
Geoff
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,
FEAST, MOXON
Gloucestershire, HILL, COX, NEWELL
Sussex, CHAPMAN, NEVE, DOWNER
Surrey, NEWELL, WEBB,

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 09:09 BST (UK) »
You are very wise not to trust online trees. They may be right, but very often they are not. Never trust anything you find online unless it's an image of an original document.

Unfortunately people tend to copy what they find online without checking for primary evidence, so one unverifed suggestion can quickly proliferate into multiple trees perpetuating the same assumption/error.

Have you looked at the sources quoted on the various trees you have found and worked out which tree(s) have reliable-looking sources - that is, a source that is not one of the other trees or an index or transcription on Ancestry, FamilySearch, MyHeritage, Geni, Wikitree etc? You could try contacting the author of that tree and asking what their evidence is for the parentage of John Forrester?

I see that John F and Helen Shaw had at least 9 children, and that the eldest son was William and the second daughter was Elizabeth. If the Forresters followed the naming tradition, this could point to John's father being William and his mother Elizabeth.

However he named his third son Alexander and he had no (recorded) daughter Helen, which is not in accordance with the naming tradition, so you can't be absolutely certain they were following it. Also, in the apparent absence of a marriage record, there could have been one or more unrecorded children before William.

Do the children's baptism records say what John's occupation was, or where he lived, or who the witnesses to the baptisms were? The latter can often provide a clue to earlier generations.

There could be mentions of John Forrester in the Kilmadock Kirk Session minutes. He might have been an elder, or he might have borrowed money from the Kirk Session - I was able to work out the parentage of one of my ancestors from the receipts in the kirk accounts (in another parish, not in Kilmadock). The kirk session records are in the National Records of Scotland. They have been digitised and are to be made available on the Scotland's People web site, but I don't know when. It could be a long job to search through them for all mentions of John Forrester! You could consider hiring a professional searcher to do so on your behalf, of course.

It might be useful to find out who owned Ashentree Farm? In 1855 the proprietor was Miss Clementina Graham of Coldoch. There will be a record in the Registers of Sasines of who owned it before her. It's also just possible that some estate records have survived that might contain relevant information.

See http://www.stirlingarchives.scot/2016/01/18/coldoch-blair-drummond/

However all of these approches really require you, or someone on your behalf, spending time in archives in Scotland, as any information is not going to be online.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rose78bne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 14:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, both! This has been so helpful, really appreciate it. I now have a good excuse to explore the archives in Scotland!