Author Topic: Rosehill Cemetery, Montrose  (Read 1104 times)

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rosehill Cemetery, Montrose
« on: Tuesday 27 August 19 18:15 BST (UK) »
I have found a gravestone erected by an ancestor of mine in Rosehill Cemetery, Montrose. Unfortunately the bottom half of the gravestone has broken off. The remaining part of the gravestone states:-
“Erected by David Wallace, Rosehill in memory of David Grant, his grandchild who died 31 Jul 1863 aged 6 years and 5 months and Mary Ann Rae who died 2 Dec 1863 aged 5 Months. Also James Rae who died 19th Feb 1868 aged 6 months. Also Thomas Wright Rae who died 8th March 1872 aged 9 weeks and of John Wright Rae who died 26 Jan 1874 aged 7 1/2 months………………..”.
I would love to find out what the bottom half stated but have been unable to find mention of the gravestone in the Rosehill Monumental Inscriptions books. Can anybody help me?
Regards
colincam
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Rosehill Cemetery, Montrose
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 18:27 BST (UK) »
There won't be anything in the MI book because the book only lists stones with at least one mention of a date before 1855.

Your best bet is to try www.deceasedonline.com which has the Angus burial records. You can view a list of all those in the same grave. I think.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian
I was unaware of the stipulation in your 1st sentence.
However I have a copy of the burial register from DeceasedOnline and I am sorry to say it only lists burials in chronological order.
Regards
colincam
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian
I was unaware of the stipulation in your 1st sentence.
However I have a copy of the burial register from DeceasedOnline and I am sorry to say it only lists burials in chronological order.
Oh dear :(

You could try contacting Angus Council and asking if there is a lair book that DeceasedOnline don't have as well as the Register of Interments that DeceasedOnline does have.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian
I will give your suggestion a try tomorrow
Regards
colincam

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 August 19 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian
I did manage to contact Angus Council and they confirmed that unfortunately their lair plans were incomplete and only started at 1895 as the older register of lair plans was destroyed in a fire, presumably at that time. And so they cannot say who was buried in the lair prior to this.
Sadly we appear to have drawn a blank unless we find another record of gravestone inscriptions at Rosehill that was compiled before the damage to the bottom part of the gravestone occurred??
Regards
colincam

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 August 19 17:14 BST (UK) »
Oh, that's too bad.

I'm not aware of any other transcriptions.