Author Topic: William James Johnston  (Read 639 times)

Offline telboym8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William James Johnston
« on: Wednesday 28 August 19 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Im having trouble finding info abount my grandfather who is no longer living. I regret that family didn't talk much about him so don't know real details. I have a copy of my dads marriage certificate and it shows grandad as being a police inspector. the of my parents was in 1958.They married in Dundee and Dad was also born in Dundee.

William James Johnston is shown to be married to Elizabeth Jane Taylor but even with this information I coudnt find anything else such as who was his father and mother etc..I am assuming they were both from Dundee but of course this could be completely wrong

Can anyone help

brown/cope/baldwin

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William James Johnston
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 10:02 BST (UK) »
On Scotlands People there is a death of a William James Johnston age 73 in Dundee on 1977.  His mothers maiden name is Gulland on the free search, but you would have to order the cert for more details if it is the correct person

The marriage you refer to for William to Elizabeth Jane Taylor is listed on Scotlands People as 1926 Denisstoun Glasgow.   William's mothers maiden name is listed a Gulland which ties in with the 1977 death in Dundee

Added - William James is listed as  a Lance Corperal in the 2 Batt of the Black Watch age 23 with father Wiliam James Johnston a Chemical Work   ??   and mother Isabella nee Gulland

Offline telboym8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 10:09 BST (UK) »
That was very quick, thank you..  I will have to order the certificate to be sure of course....Is there any records of Police force members of Scotland on Ancestry or anywhere else where I can look to find him. He was a police inspector somewhere but don't know where. I would be grateful for any help with that too.

Gary Johnston
brown/cope/baldwin

Offline telboym8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 10:17 BST (UK) »
The Black Watch link is possible as he wore their tie when I saw him on occasions...Thank you so much
brown/cope/baldwin

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 10:23 BST (UK) »
Sadly I don't know of any source of online police records but someone else maybe able to help

If it is the right William  there is a marriage for his parents on Scotlands People on 1898 at St Giles Edinburgh

Offline telboym8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 10:31 BST (UK) »
That's fantastic, I will take a closer look and be able to go further back now I hope. Much appreciated
brown/cope/baldwin

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 10:42 BST (UK) »
Good luck - Scotlands People is a great site - come back if you get stuck  :)

Kay