Author Topic: Cherry Tree House, Queen Mary's Hospital, Carshalton Beeches - 1970's  (Read 2979 times)

Offline FrancesHughes

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cherry Tree House, Queen Mary's Hospital, Carshalton Beeches - 1970's
« on: Thursday 29 August 19 23:21 BST (UK) »
I have begun searching for any archive information, or even better, contact if possible with people who worked, or were detained at the above establishment in the 1970's

(The building was eventually demolished - the hospital itself also eventually moved away from Carshalton - so there is no connection with any of the many premises currently having similar or identical names to the Cherry Tree House being referred to here.)

The purpose of the house was understood to have been a facility of Queen Mary's Children's Hospital in which to try and use new, psychological and 'groundbreaking' treatments to address social and emotional difficulties in young boys.

A psychiatric presence was active in the house but these staff were not always present. Other non-psychological staff were reported to be present at times.  However, questions are raised on many fronts.

In contrast to care and support, what the children in fact encountered is alleged to have been a barbaric regime - too dreadful and upsetting to hear of right now.

The building is described as having operated under a cloak of secrecy.  The lack of knowledge seems to have been confirmed by the lack of any reported information discovered.

Reports are emerging, suggesting that numerous unlawful acts occurred to some (or many) of the children 'detained' in Cherry Tree House.

Croydon police are investigating and should be contacted with any information that could help.

Any clues or leads discovered here also will be passed to the police at Croydon who have been very supportive.  In today's climate, resources are limited. The police need the support of the community in cracking this one.

If you wish to pass information anonymously you can contact Crimestoppers who are utterly safe. They take enormous pride in keeping identities confidential.

If offences did occur at the above location, a number of persons may still be able to help with enquiries.

If the accounts are true, many other children will have been traumatised, to the extent that some 45 or so years later, flashbacks and night terrors remain.

Learning what what wrong in the past offers some extra protections for others in the future. It also helps victims.  Finding strength to talk about suffering and injustice allows light into parts of the mind, helping the affected to deal with any fear and anger still present.

Any help is appreciated. Ideas for getting hold of archive material on the operation itself and of the premises would be very helpful. So far the NHS have helped but are reported as being unable to locate any records currently.  We do not yet even have a picture of the building - it is as if it never existed.

If you can help, this will be wonderful.

With the warmest of thanks.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Cherry Tree House, Queen Mary's Hospital, Carshalton Beeches - 1970's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 August 19 23:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't help but is it possible please to state in your subject heading which County & Country?

There may be people here or abroad who know of stories passed down without knowing much more i.e. a County may help them to recognise where?

Have you been in touch with London Council to find out info. as it seems strange there are no records for a Hospital which closed as late as 1993?

There are many similar cases of abuse coming to light these days & I wish you & any past sufferers much luck in your quest as it sounds like it may be a hard task sadly?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 August 19 06:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't help but is it possible please to state in your subject heading which County & Country?

There may be people here or abroad who know of stories passed down without knowing much more i.e. a County may help them to recognise where?

Have you been in touch with London Council to find out info. as it seems strange there are no records for a Hospital which closed as late as 1993?

There are many similar cases of abuse coming to light these days & I wish you & any past sufferers much luck in your quest as it sounds like it may be a hard task sadly?

Annie
  M

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 August 19 06:49 BST (UK) »
My daughter attended this Hospital in1981 a few times for operations & a year as an outpatient as she had spina bifita
ov not the part you are looking into, it was at one time an old isolation hospital with many old buildings scattered around a large wooded area setting ,isolated with each ward supporting it self
 when my daughter had to go for operations ect a large cartoon painted old converted milk float  sort of vehicle was used .Ican not speak more highly on the way myself & daughter where treated as the childrens hospital side was excellent. i remember taking her out in  a pram for a walk around the grounds ,in one remote part there was lots of shouting & noise when i asked the nurse about it later she said it was best to stay away it was private & not part of the hospital & was where mentally disturbed teenagers where . sorry for rambling on but dont have photos so trying to give you a mental picture .fast forward to 5 years ago & daughter has to see a cosultant when pregnant with second child who realised when looking into her record he was acc at the hospital & present as a student when she had her first operation & later came around the ward to see her.  So another line might be to post asking if any medical persons  or staff remember being there n the hospital or area you are looking into .

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 August 19 10:22 BST (UK) »
[Post has been amended]     

I do not see how I can help.     

Regards

Hi     
Welcome to Rootschat.       

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01oa1/

Are there any crime reference number(s) for the reported offence(s).     
Please quote them?     

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Stevesurrey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 January 21 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Cherry tree house definitely existed.
I was there myself in 1980/81.
I was a there with mental health issues having taken a overdose aged 11.
I have recently suffered terrible flashbacks which led me to search on line for Cherry Tree House to see if anyone else had comments about the place.
I felt shear terror when i read your comment.
If i can help you at all i would like to.

Offline Steve12345

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 April 22 01:02 BST (UK) »
Cheery tree house with the room with one one mirror -  I have told stories of this place to only a couple of people in 37 years - taken 4 days just to reply to this thread as this confirms my vague memory’s are real .
I was put in this place from an emotion disturbed unit on the hospital grounds
If there is anything I can help with please let me know

Offline Michele73

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 October 22 04:48 BST (UK) »
I was at Cherry Tree House from 1985-87. I don't know if I can help with any of the issues that have been raised from the 1970s but I have crystal clear memories of my time there, what went on, the staff and 'therapies'. 

I still cry often for the child I was there.

Offline Steve12345

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Reply to Michele73
I was there around the same time period as yourself