Author Topic: Looking for MILLARs from INVERQUHARITY  (Read 694 times)

Offline dhmm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for MILLARs from INVERQUHARITY
« on: Friday 30 August 19 04:44 BST (UK) »
My 4g-grandfather John Millar (1783-1830) and 4gg/m Betty Millar and their eldest son Charles Millar (1807-1870) farmed at Inverquharity, near Kirriemuir, on the Kinnordy estate.

After 1830 several of Charles's siblings also worked elsewhere in Forfarshire (George 1808-, John 1810-84, James 1812-, David 1814-, William 1816-, Betty 1819-90) and his youngest brother Peter 1825-92, emigrated to NZ where he created a farm that he named Inverquharity.

Next month I plan to make a trip to the area (I live in Canada) to look for more details of the siblings and their descendants, and ideally to find John and Betty Millar's parents (unfortunately I've not been able to find any of their complete BMD records that normally give that information, only a one-line entry for John's death).

If anyone believes they might be descended from the same family and would like to share info I'd love to hear from them. I have fairly complete trees for the descendants of Charles, John, Betty and Peter.
MILLAR, Forfarshire; TURNER, Rutland; MARJORAM, Suffolk; CHAMBERLAIN, Norfolk; HARDWICK, Northamptonshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for MILLARs from INVERQUHARITY
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 August 19 08:11 BST (UK) »
Next month I plan to make a trip to the area (I live in Canada) to look for more details of the siblings and their descendants, and ideally to find John and Betty Millar's parents (unfortunately I've not been able to find any of their complete BMD records that normally give that information, only a one-line entry for John's death).
Do not arrive at Inverquharity expecting to find much in the way of local records, and do as much homework as possible before you leave home.

All the statutory BMD records, most surviving pre-1855 church records and all the censuses are held in Edinburgh and can be accessed in the Scotland's People Centre there. See 'Visiting Scotland's People Centre' at https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/our-charges. Far better to spend a day or two there looking at the records before you head for Angus.

The best way to go about this would be to use Scotland's People online before you arrive, of course.

Once you have investigated all possible avenues at SP, you can then consider other options. There may, for instance, be something in an archive somewhere. See https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/catalogues-and-indexes and make sure you search all three catalogues thoroughly, because some archives require you to book in advance, and in several you have to order the items you want to look at anything up to three days before you get there. You may also need proof of identity - read those sections carefully so you don't turn up without the necessary admin bumf.

You are extremely unlikely to find anything more about the deaths of anyone who died before the start of statutory registration in 1855. However there is a possibility that your Millars (and don't forget to check for them as Miller too, because spelling in the 18th and 19th centuries was very variable) might have become involved in the affairs of the church, in which case there could be a mention of them in the Kirriemuir Kirk Session records, or just possibly the Cortachy KS records, because Inverquharity is very close to the boundary with Cortachy. These can be viewed in the Historical Search Room in General Register House, Edinburgh - see https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/visit-us

As your Millars didn't own Inverquharity Farm, it's unlikely that there is any reference to them in the Registers of Sasines, but it might be worth checking the indexes in the Historical Search Room, just in case.

Make sure you check Angus Archives https://www.angusalive.scot/local-family-history/ in case there is anything there.

I checked the booklet of Angus pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions, and there are none in Kirriemuir that mention Miller or Millar in Inverquharity. Nor are there any in Cortachy, which is the neighbouring parish.

And this https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NO4057 might be of interest.

Oh, and under no circumstances plan to drive a car in Edinburgh. It's difficult to move, the one-way systems are bizarre, it's all but impossible to stop anywhere near any place you might like to visit, and if you are lucky enough to find a parking spot, it will cost you an arm and a leg. Use the city bus service, which is excellent, and don't hire a car until you are ready to head out for Angus.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dhmm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 August 19 00:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your helpful observations, and thanks generally for all the good stuff you post on this forum which I often find useful.

I've already been in touch with Angus Archives to check what they have specific to Inverquharity and they sent a catalogue of the Kinnordy Estate Papers which include two Series specific to Inverquharity Farm and Mill but unfortunately only goes back to 1867, but might still have something, and also they have newspaper archives for Forfarshire Advertiser and Montrose Review which start about 1811.

I'm planning to spend 2 days at the Scotlands People Centre beforehand. One question: do you know if you can just scroll through the OPRs for a parish in time-order, as opposed to looking at them online where you appear to only be able to conduct specific searches by name? What I am getting at is that since I suspect John Millar was born around 1783, I'd like to just sit and read backwards from say 1786 and see if I can spot any siblings or the marriage of his parents, but obviously I won't really know a specific name other than surname to look for.

Also, you mention a booklet of pre-1855 Angus graveyard inscriptions. Can you advise where I can find that or get a copy? Given that John's children moved all over Forfarshire, one angle could be to widen my search and look for other Millars born around the right time but elsewhere in the county, not just adjacent parishes.

Many thanks again for your suggestions.
MILLAR, Forfarshire; TURNER, Rutland; MARJORAM, Suffolk; CHAMBERLAIN, Norfolk; HARDWICK, Northamptonshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 August 19 08:42 BST (UK) »
One question: do you know if you can just scroll through the OPRs for a parish in time-order, as opposed to looking at them online where you appear to only be able to conduct specific searches by name?
It is possible to do this, but if I really wanted to scroll backwards and forwards I would find a library (Forfar Public Library, Kirriemuir Library, or Angus Archives, for example) where the parish registers are available as microfilm, rather than spend paid-for time in the SP centre. You can even arrange to look at them in an LDS Family History Centre at home in Canada, though there probably isn't time now to order in the microfilm before you leave home.

What I am getting at is that since I suspect John Millar was born around 1783, I'd like to just sit and read backwards from say 1786 and see if I can spot any siblings or the marriage of his parents, but obviously I won't really know a specific name other than surname to look for.
Why bother to do it this way? The SP index is very powerful and versatile.

You can search it (free of charge online) without specifying any name at all for all baptisms in Kirriemuir, or all marriages in Kirriemuir. I just pulled up the complete index for Kirriemuir and there are getting on for 18,000 baptisms, about 7000 of them between 1750 and 1800. Restricting it to surnames m*ll*r takes it down to 86 between 1750 and 1800.

Marriages are in a separate volume so you would need to scroll back separately for those, and if John's parents were not married in Kirriemuir (where the older marriage records are sparse and remarkable uninformative) how would you find out which parish to scroll through? There are 43 m*ll*r marriages listed in Kirriemuir, of which the earliest is in 1821.

Believe me, it would be much quicker to home in on the Mill*r baptisms in Kirriemuir in the SP centre using the index than trying to read through the whole register.

Also, you mention a booklet of pre-1855 Angus graveyard inscriptions. Can you advise where I can find that or get a copy?
It's widely available in libraries, and you can buy a copy at the Scottish Genealogy Society https://www.scotsgenealogy.com/. There are four volumes covering all inscriptions in Angus with at least one date before 1855 on them. Volume 1 includes Kirriemuir and neighbouring parishes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 August 19 09:34 BST (UK) »
PS It just occurred to me to take a look at FreeREG. Kirriemuir has been done.

See https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_queries/5d6a30394325a695a702f469?locale=en - if you click on Row .... under 'Detail' it will tell you the parents' place of residence assuming that information was on the original document.

Offline dhmm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 September 19 20:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks again! I think you just saved me a lot of time. Also I was unaware of freeREG - very useful resource!