Author Topic: Ancestry DNA - filtering matches by Region  (Read 1626 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA - filtering matches by Region
« on: Saturday 31 August 19 17:37 BST (UK) »
I haven't been doing any research for a month or so.  My memory is that somewhere within the Ethnicity area, or maybe somewhere else, you could choose an identified region (say 1 of 3 areas highlighted from Ireland) and you could filter your matches to a particular area?  Am I remembering incorrectly?  Such a useful filter.  Help please!

Cheers in advance, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA - filtering matches by Region
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 August 19 18:49 BST (UK) »
Is this what you are looking for

If so its

1. DNA tab
2. DNA matches
3. Search option and fill in location as appropriate (the less specific the more likely you are to get matches)

(sorry the image is a tad large)

They have a page on it at

https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/article/UK-Searching-Matches-Trees-by-Surname-or-Birth-Location
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 August 19 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi davidft, no, not like that, which I can see now.  It identified those who you specifically linked to in an area, but you didn't have to put it into a search criteria, it just showed those who linked to you from, say, North Leinster & East Connacht rather than those from Fermanagh & Cavan or North East Leinster & South Ulster.  Have I imagined it or was it available in a previous version?  Anyway, it was very helpful when you have lots of Irish and you know a particular line originated in a particular area, so could link matches to possible branches who were NOT from that area.  Maybe I imagined it  ;D

thanks for replying.  Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 August 19 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Kit

Click on Ethnicity Estimate and  on the right had side of the page that comes up,  you'll find the breakdown of regions.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 August 19 22:43 BST (UK) »
Here's a snip of the window on mine. If you click on the circles/arrows, you'll get some matches come up
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 August 19 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget, it's from that screen that I though there was an option to select an area, and it would show who of your matches also had the same area connection.  I'd narrowed down some of my Lancashire matches that way knowing that they weren't from the Irish side.  When I click on an area, no matches are showing.

must have imagined it!  Kit

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 August 19 23:09 BST (UK) »
I get matches when I click on the sub regions. They are just a selection though, not the whole list.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 September 19 09:19 BST (UK) »
I definitely remember a 'drop down' menu being available in one version (I do wish they would stop playing with it!!), I just can't remember if it was on the Ethnicity screen or Matches screen.  Has the Beta version gone now?  Maybe it was there.

It would allow you to use your 'identified ethnicity sub regions options' to narrow down matches.  Looking at the search options available as Gadget shows, searching on 'Birth Location' isn't going to bring up those who have a specific ancestral ethicity from a particular area and are in your matches, which is what I remember the other option doing.  I remember being able to chose from a 'drop down menu' to narrow down matches whose ethnicity was specifically from the NW of England, as opposed to those  with an Irish ethnicity who may have moved to NW England.

Oh well, it's away now, or maybe I dreamt it .  cheers, Kit

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 September 19 09:26 BST (UK) »
The drop down menu that you remember for genetic communities was on your match list. It disappeared when they introduced the more useful filters that we now have.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn