Author Topic: Brabazon Disney Shiels- One marriage entered in Catholic and COI??  (Read 8212 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brabazon Disney Shiels- One marriage entered in Catholic and COI??
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 00:02 BST (UK) »

The General Armory of England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales By Sir Bernard Burke C B LL D

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 16:43 BST (UK) »

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 17:12 BST (UK) »
It looks like he was COI and she was RC and they married in both churches to keep each other/family happy.
It happens.

I also assume that he was CoI and she was RC. 
The wedding ceremony in the Catholic church would have been to keep her and her family happy. (Although it looks like none of her family or friends turned up.)  It was a religious ceremony with no legal standing if one party was CoI.  What was written in the Catholic register was sufficient to show that it was a valid marriage according to the canon law of the  Catholic Church.  The legal marriage was the ceremony in the Church of Ireland.
Marriage laws in Ireland at the time were not straightforward. Civil registration of non-Catholic marriages began in 1845.  Civil registration of Catholic marriages didn't begin until 1864. A marriage between 2 Catholics in a Catholic church was accepted as legal. A marriage ceremony in a Catholic church between a Catholic and a member of the Church of Ireland was not recognised as a legal marriage.  If Brabazon and Rose were married only in the Catholic church:  1.) their children would not have been legitimate, leading to inheritance problems;   2.)  Brabazon could have abandoned Rose and married again without committing bigamy.
Marriage laws in Ireland were different from laws in England, Scotland and Wales. There was a Royal Commission on marriage in 1868 to investigate anomalies.
The stance of the Catholic Church on marriage law and mixed marriages was also a "grey area" in Ireland.
Cowban

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 September 19 20:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry I didn't see this continued help until today. I too had thought there might have been 2 Brabazon Disney Shiles or Sheils but to also have the same woman Rose Rooney makes me wonder if that would be possible.

I found a Catholic baptism record for a Henry Shiels born Darver, Co. Louth, parents Brabazon Disney Shiels and Rose Rooney. Then their marriage record in both the Catholic and COI records married 11 March 1850?On the marriage information both Brabazon and Rose are 60 years of age at the time of marriage? A newspaper story in the Belfast papers announces the marriage of "Brabazon Disney Shiels's" youngest daughter, Martha Emily Shiels for 19 July 1858.

I found that in 1806 Apri 14 Brabazon DisneyShiels was appointed to Lieutenant of the 5th Regiment of Co. Louth, in 1814 he was appointed "applotters" in the Parish of Darver and was a seat holder in the Parish Church of Newtown Darver, seat 15. A William Shiels made a will in 1801 a resident of Newtown Darver and Brabazon was also a church warden from 1825-1826.

The last info I found in a book the History of Kilsaran Union and Manfieldstown Union of Parishes in Co. Louth was a cemetery marker that listed Shiels people but another separate entry said that Henry Shiels son of William Shiels had died 28 Januay 1829 in his 29th year and the stone was erected by Brabazon Disney Shiels Esq. to the lamented memory of the best and most beloved of brothers.
Manfieldstown Churchyard.

I am totally at a loss on how to sort this out but I believe Brabazon was 100% COI so I need to find a way to check COI birth records for children either around the early 1800's like the Henry Shiels entry or after 1850 when they married but at age 60, can't see them having children then.

Once again thanks for the information and help.
Cheers,

Frustrated Canadian!!!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 September 19 21:36 BST (UK) »
A newspaper story in the Belfast papers announces the marriage of "Brabazon Disney Shiels's" youngest daughter, Martha Emily Shiels for 19 July 1858.

Once again thanks for the information and help.
Cheers,

Frustrated Canadian!!!

So nothing for his older daughters?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 05 September 19 22:02 BST (UK) »