Author Topic: Dickson Family  (Read 761 times)

Offline tiptop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dickson Family
« on: Tuesday 03 September 19 04:34 BST (UK) »
My 3rd great grandfather was William Dickson 13-10-1775 , I know his father was William and his wife susanah Rymer but I can;t seem to find any dates for them.  they lived at Langdale farm Wheldrake YKS and were married 13-12-1774 , Maybe at Wheldrake Church and maybe buried there ? .I would be so grateful if anyone could get me past this brick wall . Tiptop.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dickson Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 06:58 BST (UK) »
The image for the marriage entry is available at FindMyPast.  William signed, and Susannah made her mark.  George Calvert and William Young (possibly a church official) were the witnesses. The marriage was by licence, and according to the transcription of the Bond/Allegation William was aged 25 and Susannah was 21. 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 07:30 BST (UK) »
A possible baptism for William Dickson - Cottingham - 13 November 1748 = William, son of John Dickson.

Not sure why I can't see William's baptism at Wheldrake (1775), but I did see these baptisms, which are very useful:

Ann Dickson, 3rd daughter of William Dickson of Langwith, Farmer, son of John Dickson of Langwith, Farmer by Ann his wife and Susannah, daughter of William Rymer of Dishforth, Roper by Martha his wife.  Born Monday, 18 June and baptised Tuesday, 18 September 1781.

Mary Dickson, 2nd daughter of ........  Born Wednesday, 27 October and baptised Sunday, 26 December 1779.

Oh the joys of a Dade Register  ;D ;D ;D
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 07:46 BST (UK) »
I still can't see William (1775), but a further three children:

Elizabeth DIXON, 1st daughter - born Saturday 7 February 1777, baptised Thursday 12 March 1777.

George Dixon - born 6 November 1781, baptised 9 January 1782.  By this time we have lost all the additional information.

Hannah Dixon - born 26 July 1785, baptised 28 July 1785.

Added:  now found William - as William DIXON and the baptism date of 16 November 1775 - son of William.  :)

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline tiptop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 September 19 05:13 BST (UK) »
Hi BumbleB , Thanks for your email and the information , It is so hard to find information . I spent an hour on Google trying to find any records and also to find any graves , all to no avail . I've been able to trace my other three grandparents line back to the middle ages so easily but the Dickson male line is so hard . You were able to help me last year with one of my mother's family , which gave me a good start . I've just started my husband tree and have been so lucky to easily trace the line back to the beginning of the settlement of Maine U S A. that's the way it goes . Tiptop.

Offline tiptop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 June 23 05:49 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Bumblebee and Others, one day I will be able to go back further in time. I have been luckier with my with three other grandparents. Tiptop.