Author Topic: Trouble with GRO  (Read 3810 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with GRO
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 12 October 19 18:36 BST (UK) »
Don't forget that you can STILL upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 without paying out.

BACK UP YOUR STUFF FIRST!!

You download the image from Microsoft (google for Windows 10 ISO) and write it to a DVD, then run the setup from there. There's a problem in the installer if you write the current version to a USB stick, so use the DVD option.

The Win10 licence is still free this way.

If you don't like it, or it doesn't support some of your existing hardware or software, you can undo the change for a week or so.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 October 19 20:56 BST (UK) »
I'm told that Windows 7 will still be supported after Jan 2020 to the extent of receiving critical updates etc.  The optionals like all the language updates etc won't be supported but the rest will.

I am not intending to swap for a while yet.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 October 19 08:12 BST (UK) »
Whether W7 is supported or not, yoy will still be able to use Windows 7 for many years ;D

After all Windows XP is still used extensively - particularly by ATMs.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 October 19 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the input re Windows 7 and Windows 10.
My current thinking is to get a laptop with Windows 10 and keep my PC setup with Windows 7 Professional. My PC has all my family tree and music files. It also has the old Photoshop CS3 which I still use. I can get GIMP on a new laptop for no charge.
I'm in no rush to get rid of my old PC, but will appreciate having something more portable in the future.
Richard
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 October 19 15:42 BST (UK) »
My understanding about Windows 7 after 20th January 2020 is that there will be no support or updates at all, making my system more vulnerable to malware and viruses.
See: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/windows/end-of-windows-7-support
 ::)
Richard aka RPJ
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
My understanding about Windows 7 after 20th January 2020 is that there will be no support or updates at all, making my system more vulnerable to malware and viruses.
See: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/windows/end-of-windows-7-support
Richard aka RPJ

Yes, the naughty people probably have a whole slew of exploits queued up, waiting for the new year, knowing that there will NOT be a patch to stop them being used, even when they are commonplace.

They know that if they attack ten million users now, they might get cash from maybe a thousand, then patches will reduce their take to a trickle by December. If they wait until January, they can rake in the money for months on end with no extra effort.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 18:00 BST (UK) »
Richard aka RPJ

Not really, if you are sensible about what you access and have a good virus software in addition you will be no worse off after 20th January 2020.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.