Author Topic: Stam(m)erhall?  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Kavill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stam(m)erhall?
« on: Wednesday 04 September 19 11:37 BST (UK) »
I’ve had one of my mysteries solved this morning thanks to the forum so I might be on a roll and thought I’d try another!

Attached is an extract from the Bishop’s Transcript for St Helen’s, Skipwith, for 1684. It shows the marriage of Simon Woollas and Elizabetha Linsley.

Simon is described as of Stamerhall. I think the line above the m means repeat or abbreviation so it’s possibly Stammerhall.

I lived around York most of my life but it doesn’t mean anything to me. I tried looking through old maps for the parish and surrounding area but came up with nothing. I also tried earlier and later BTs for Skipwith to see if there were any other mentions and again drew a blank, which would make me think it’s not in the immediate vicinity. It could well be a corruption of a place name that the vicar was unsure of.

Any ideas, please?

Keith
Willats/Willatts-Wokingham and Reading, Fletcher-Binfield, Wheeler-Binfield, Clark-Feering, Willett-Leicestershire, Simpson-St Lukes London, Woollass-East Yorkshire, Coggrave-East Yorkshire, Duffill-East Yorkshire, Kavell/Kavill/Kevill-East Yorkshire, Fletcher-Ryther/Kirkby Wharfe/Appleton Roebuck, Trotter-Green&Kirk Hammerton/York

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stam(m)erhall?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 11:56 BST (UK) »
GenUKI has a very useful "Where Is It in Yorkshire?" section.
Here's the page for places beginning with "S":
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/YRY/Where/S

Nothing for Stam(m)erhall, but what about Stanningholme?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 12:05 BST (UK) »
I think the line above the m means repeat or abbreviation
Yes, it's a 'contraction mark', so almost certainly Stammerhall.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kavill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Stanningholme is certainly a possibility. Otherwise known as Seven Hills, it took some finding on the old O/S map. Looks rather a one horse hamlet!

It lies in the parish of Watton and the registers go back to 1558/9, with a gap in the 1630s / 40s. There are some people in the registers in the 17th century named Wallas, so well worth investigating.
Willats/Willatts-Wokingham and Reading, Fletcher-Binfield, Wheeler-Binfield, Clark-Feering, Willett-Leicestershire, Simpson-St Lukes London, Woollass-East Yorkshire, Coggrave-East Yorkshire, Duffill-East Yorkshire, Kavell/Kavill/Kevill-East Yorkshire, Fletcher-Ryther/Kirkby Wharfe/Appleton Roebuck, Trotter-Green&Kirk Hammerton/York

Offline Kavill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 September 19 08:26 BST (UK) »
By pure coincidence I think I might have found the answer to this.

I was searching for the burial of a John Webster of York (on a different part of my family tree) and came across the attached Quaker grave digging instruction. As it happens this wasn’t the John Webster I was looking for but the deceased’s abode caught my interest.

Stainer Hall is (or was, it’s now a school and housing estate) just under 8 miles from Skipwith so I think there’s a very good chance this could be the Stamerhall from the marriage entry.

I now need to check the Selby parish registers to see if there’s any mention of a Simon Woollas born about 1660. Unfortunately and surprisingly there doesn’t appear to be any baptism records on line for Selby from this period, though a transcript is available from the Yorkshire Parish Register Society.

Keith