Author Topic: Rev Joseph Cockin of Square Chapel, Halifax  (Read 1617 times)

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Joseph Cockin of Square Chapel, Halifax
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 17:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much - I've downloaded the extract & it names Joseph Cockin as a legatee receiving £45, but simply that. I think that the Fox family must have been worshippers at the Square Chapel, hence the bequest, plus the fact that Joseph Fox is interred there during J Cockin's tenure as minister.

Further to the burial of Joseph Cockin, he is almost certainly one of those transferred from the Piece Hall and reburied in 2016 in Stoney Royd cemetery, Halifax. Sadly, it seems that all the reburials are in a mass grave with no individual stones retained, just a marker to acknowledge the fact. When time (and Covid) allow, I hope to go over to have a look.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 17:42 BST (UK) »
There is a transcription for Joseph Cockin's grave in Winding Road, on f m p

Did the Local Authority insist on the head stones being photographed?

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 17:46 BST (UK) »
Sent 1828 Memorial Inscription by PM
 ----------
Halifax Courier
Friday, 30th September 2016, 4:17 pm
(online)
Article title "Ancient remains removed from Square Chapel graveyard "
(contains a photograph of an open grave and skeleton)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 July 21 09:50 BST (UK) »
Joseph Cockin of Halifax, has a Registered Will at York, likely to be at the Borthwick Institute (located within the University of York).

Proved, November 1828, Volume 177, folio 301, Cockin Joseph of Halifax, T. 800 [Testamentary, up to £800]
https://www.york.ac.uk/borthwick/

Estate Duty
Also Joseph Cockin of Halifax appears in the 1828 Index (Indexes on f m p) to the Board of the Inland Revenue Estate Duty Registers held at TNA, Kew, England and the index also confirms the Court was York.
(Sliding the images over, the Register column appears to say Register 4, a Folio reference and Succ'. Ledger V)

Ely Bates was either Sole Executor or one of the Executors / Administrators dealing with the Will.

If no listing appears online, but are listed in the Index, then these Estate Duty Abstracts have to be manually searched for at TNA, Kew. They start from 1796.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9364

Some contain only a Summary of the Will. However, where a Will was not settled e.g. using Trustees to administer the Will (some Wills took years to settle with the Will Beneficiaries having died themselves), then some of these Abstracts might contain further names about later beneficiaries.

I am finding a few of those available online have added notes on, or in the corresponding place on the next page, including names of later family or relatives, who must have become liable to pay the Estate Duty.

Mark