Author Topic: "coke burner and coal merchant"  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"coke burner and coal merchant"
« on: Wednesday 04 September 19 21:31 BST (UK) »
I've come across a man called Helliwell (1860s) who was a "coke burner and coal merchant"; one or both occupations listed on various documents.  There was a big steel works in the valley, so he could have worked there as coke burner, or there was a coal pit nearer, so would they perhaps have burnt coke there?  And why would he also be a coal merchant?  In 1860 a newspaper report mentions his "banksman", who would have been working on the pit.  I've seen a few reports that refer to "Helliwell's pit", but it was a common name round here and I'm not convinced this was him.
Any ideas folks?  he also ran a beerhouse at this time.  I'm beginning to think he cloned himself!
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "coke burner and coal merchant"
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 21:38 BST (UK) »
You heat coking coal in an oxygen-free environment to make coke (and gas for street/domestic lighting)
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "coke burner and coal merchant"
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 September 19 01:00 BST (UK) »
To give you a visual idea of your ancestor's occupation.

Below is a link to a Wikipedia webpage, on which you'll find a picture of a coke making oven and if you scroll down, there's a section which describes how to make coke from coal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beehive_oven
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke