Author Topic: William Waddell/Mary Deans  (Read 1103 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
William Waddell/Mary Deans
« on: Thursday 05 September 19 19:17 BST (UK) »
William Waddell ( other spellings are available) and Mary Deans had 3 daughters , Ann 1803, Mary 1809 and Isabella 1805, all christened at Stichill, Rox. My line is from Isabella so I have found all I can on " her ".

Also Mary Deans b. Fogo, Berwickshire 1780, died 1860 at Stichill, is completed apart from her marriage to William Waddell. Other than the fact that he is named as the father of the 3 girls, I can find nothing else about him. He does not appear on the 1841 census, but I can find no death for him. It seems like those 3 records are the only proof of his existence; on Mary`s death cert it just says widow of a labourer !

I`m just venting frustration really, but hoping that someone may know something about William !

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Waddell/Mary Deans
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 September 19 19:22 BST (UK) »
Given that you are working with families in Roxburghshire and Berwickshire, have you considered the possibility that William might be from the other side of the border? It is just a short walk from Stichill into Northumberland.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 September 19 19:28 BST (UK) »
Goodness ! I never gave that a thought, which considering one of my other lines is entirely possible, the other family had children born both sides of the Tweed ! I`ll get onto that .

Thanks

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 September 19 12:06 BST (UK) »

I cannot find a marriage for William & Mary, however I note on SP there were two William baptisms in the County.

WADDEL   WILLIAM   WILLIAM WADDEL/AGNES ROSS    27/07/1781   Kelso
WADDELL   WILLIAM   JAMES WADDELL/ELIZABETH HAIG    02/12/1783   Jedburgh

One is possibly the William below, the other your William, unless he left Mary, which I think is unlikely. Sadly no death records in STITCHEL/ Stichill before 1855

WADDELL 1841 Maxton = 8 miles from Stichill  (All born in county)
William 55 Ag. Lab
Elisabeth 55, Janet 19

No 1851 – SP/freecen/Family Search

1861 – Maxton + William WADDELL Lodger/widower age 80 Formerly Ploughman born Ednam ROX

A William Waddell died Maxton 1862, no age but I assume the above?

WILLIAM WADDELL/ELIZABETH WALACE (Married Eckford 1/12/1811)

Only two daughters both at Eckford MARGARET 7/01/1817 JANET 12/11/1821

No sure if any of this will help?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 September 19 14:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that !! Food for thought indeed.

I`ve searched SP using all variations of Waddelll looking for the marriage to Mary Deans to no avail, also searched nearby counties.

Agewise in comparison to Mary, the Kelso and Jedburgh baptisms look possible. The odd thing is that there is no definite death for Isabella or a marriage for her. She also is missing from the 1841 census, but Mary Deans is living with her son in law and also the 1851 wher he is described as a widower. Mary ( Deans ) Waddell died 1860 a t Stichill.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 September 19 15:40 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage for Isabella on SP.

WEDDELL   ISABELLA   JOHN YOUNG   13/05/1823   Stichill and Hume

As you will see from the following very few parishes recorded deaths or burials.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/old-parish-registers/list-of-old-parish-registers

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 September 19 16:07 BST (UK) »
This is good of you, but I`m sorry I meant to say Isabella`s " husband" was Alexander Black of Stichill, but no marriage found. Mary lived with him at least on the 1841 and 1851  census. I think Isabella may have died in childbirth. I have to go now, but I`ll come back to this later.
Thankyou.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 January 24 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I think I might have meant sooner than just over 4 years!!

I was checking my posts on Alexander Black and saw this, so that little problem will wait while I try to finish this off!

The marriage of Isabella to John Young is a strong possibilty. Isabella`s son Alexander, father Alexander Black, wasn`t born until 1825.

The lack of burial records for Stichill is "so" frustrating.