Author Topic: Katherine Geraghty (Mayo),sister of Bridget married Edward Kelly around 1790  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Katherine Geraghty (Mayo),sister of Bridget married Edward Kelly around 1790
« on: Tuesday 10 September 19 10:50 BST (UK) »
I believe Katherine married Major Denis Bingham in 1790s and had a daughter Anne. They also had an illegitimate son William prior to marriage.
They lived around Binghamstown in Mayo.
My GGG Grandfather is William

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Katherine Geraghty (Mayo),sister of Bridget married Edward Kelly around 1790
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 10:52 BST (UK) »
I'm seeking confirmation of Katherine's existence and I have not been able to find records of the union. It could be that Denis married below his stature.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Katherine Geraghty (Mayo),sister of Bridget married Edward Kelly around 1790
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 October 19 15:04 BST (UK) »
This might not be a huge help but I note the 1871 marriage of Henry Bingham, apparently son of Major Denis, to Barbara Connor. Here is the link: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1871/11336/8160681.pdf.

Note the witnesses are Michael and Catherine Geraghty. We also see a Sarah Geraghty appearing on the marriage just above, between Anthony Doherty and Ellen Kilcoyne. You may know these names already but maybe they will help. Can't be too far removed from Katherine Geraghty. Unfortunately for her, records would only exist in Church and those may be non-existant. Maybe worth contacting them if possible though?

What source do you have for her sister Bridget marrying Edward Kelly? With any luck that might make finding parents names possible. It would be useful to see what naming patterns they had. Who were Katherine and Major Denis' children, in order of birth if possible? Then, who were the children of Edward Kelly and Bridget? Looking at that, it might be possible to reconstruct some details. I've found connections this way before.

Thanks, Anthony

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 October 19 11:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Amac, but the dates don't seem to fit, my Catherine would have been 20 ish back in 1790.
I'll chase the Geraghty family link back though, unsure just how many Geraghty sisters around Belmullet at the time.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 October 19 12:27 BST (UK) »
The fact they are witnesses suggests some friendship with Henry and Barbara. Maybe Michael Geraghty's father was brother to these two sisters?