Author Topic: Netherfield Toll  (Read 1446 times)

Offline DSaun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Netherfield Toll
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 January 21 15:33 GMT (UK) »
What a coincidence - I too am looking for Netherfield Toll. I am a direct descendant of Henry Saunders!

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 February 21 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat.

Sorry I've only just seen your post, usually RootsChat notifies people who've responded to a post but I didn't get one this time.

Henry is my great x 2 grandfather, the eldest of five generations of Henrys/Harry's that were all alive at one time.

As I said in my last post I never did find the location of Netherfield Toll and the word Toll seems to have been somewhat randomly used in the area unless over time the actual toll house moved from location to location.  I suspect that we'll never know where Henry exactly lived.  It's difficult to follow the route/sequence that the enumerator used in 1901 and previous and subsequent censuses. looking at old maps they seem to had dodged about somewhat.

Offline DSaun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, so I have learnt that Henry is my Great Grandfather x2 also. I have found a lot of information about Turnpikes and a Toll Gate at the Gun Inn in documents from the Battle and District Historical Society freely available via Google. Those docs make reference to Netherfield Toll but did not state it's location. So I asked BDHS, they kindly provided a map (I am unable to upload) and informed me:

"The Toll appears to have been situated on the Netherfield Road between Eatenden Lane and Netherfield Way. The arrow shows the approximate position on a modern map taken from information on the 1813 Ordnance Survey map, which marks the Toll. It seems to be about where a house named Sky View is now".

Offline Twylyte

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 September 22 08:23 BST (UK) »
Reasonably sure I live on the land and roughly on the spot where Netherfield Toll was. I had been looking for some time for an understanding of what was marked on maps around 1860, what I thought was a small homestead; possibly the home of the people who ran an orchard for the main estate. But after reading this and looking at other maps, the toll was clearly more or less on the site of my property. I know that in 1930 the mine bought the land and put a miners cottage here from which the rest of this property has grown, so I would be fascinated to get more info and even perhaps do some digging! If any one has found any more information please do let us know.