Author Topic: Who is Thomas Mayo - Wiltshire  (Read 887 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Who is Thomas Mayo - Wiltshire
« on: Saturday 14 September 19 13:57 BST (UK) »
I’m after a little help once more after recently re going over an old post when looking into my GGG Grandfather Frederick Mayo Wade.  Long story short and with a wonderful amount of help especially from Chris.  We discovered the Mayo connection back to Thomas and Katheren Mayo née Totty.  Katheren’s father left a Will which was recently transcribed which has made me once again look at Thomas Mayo.  According to the marriage to Katheren he was born around 1664 and was a Clothier.  But I can’t find any feasible parents for him. 

Also in Katheren’s father John Totty’s Will he mentions a cousin James Townsend

And I do hereby desire and make my trusty and well beloved friends my Cousin JAMES TOWNSEND of Cheverell Magna gent

John Totty’s father Richard also leaves a will and similarly mentions a cousin James Townsend of Avon in Stratford Wiltshire (I think this one is possibly the father of the other one) so far I can’t find a connection to make them cousins however I did find that James Townsend senior in his Will of 1679 mentions a brother in law William Mayo?  It looks like his wife is Hester but she could be his second wife I’m unsure. 

I’m having a struggling tying these families together.  Perhaps cousin was a more loosely used term back then?

So I thought I would try and see if Thomas Mayo was in anyway connected to the William Mayo mentioned in James Townsend seniors Will. 

But I can’t not find any possible baptisms for Thomas.  I will attach the wedding information when he married Katheren there seems to be mention of a Frances Mayo as well.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Regards
Deb Rennie

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who is Thomas Mayo - Wiltshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 11:27 BST (UK) »
I’m sure you will have seen these but just in case.

On freereg & family search
Thomas MAYO   Baptism   18 Jul 1667   Worcestershire   Badsey : St James

Father Humphrey – Notes Gent (Also Jane 21 Sep 1665)

On family search
Thomas Mayo
Much Cowarne, Herefordshire
Baptism 2 Oct 1663
Father's Name: Francis Mayo
Mother's Name: Mary

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
On the marriage bond for Thomas and Catherine bondsman Francis Mayo husbandman  of Norton Ferris Somerset and Thomas is 30 of Corsley.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 September 19 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
On the marriage bond for Thomas and Catherine bondsman Francis Mayo husbandman  of Norton Ferris Somerset and Thomas is 30 of Corsley.

Ciderdrinker
I had noted that and thought he might hold the key bit I have been able to locate him or see if he was married.

It’s probably just getting a bit too far back in time to work it out

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 September 19 04:49 BST (UK) »
I found this today which mentions Thomas Mayo and a Totty Mayo and similar names but the date of his birth is out.  But also a mentions Francis Mayo.  I can’t find the 1710 will that it mentions but that will might hold a few keys if I could find it.

Regards
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 September 19 04:50 BST (UK) »
I had to crop the attachment in pieces to post

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile