Author Topic: Gender choices for the 2021 census  (Read 7136 times)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gender choices for the 2021 census
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 September 19 17:00 BST (UK) »

As to gender/sex. There are only two sexes, male and female. It's immutable. There is no such thing as sex change. However, some males and a lesser number of females identify with the opposite sex/gender, always have done. So, where's the harm except for small minded bigots.

It would be fine, it they didn't foist it on everyone, and just got on with their lives.

Define "foist". 
Like most other people, transgender people just want to get on with their lives - and do.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 September 19 19:26 BST (UK) »
I think 'foist' referred to the way minorities seem to not only (quite reasonably) seek acceptance, but also to almost try and convert the rest of the planet.

Cyclists, dog owners, vegans, Accrington Stanley fans, lesser-known religions, gluten intolerants, Twitterers, political obsessives et al, they all do it.  I get so bored talking about my interests to novices that I keep them to myself. I wish others would, until people show an interest. A discreet badge will suffice. It shows you support a movement without ramming the concept down the throats of all. They actually alienate most people from their cause.

I will add that this comment is not directed at anyone in particular. I will, of course, keep my views to myself, beyond wearing a discreet badge!

Martin

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 September 19 22:35 BST (UK) »
Would I be going out on a limb to ask if the Daily Mail is a Murdoch paper?  ::)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 September 19 22:46 BST (UK) »

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 September 19 22:52 BST (UK) »
As a Wikipedia editor, I can tell you that the Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday are not considered reliable as sources and we never use them. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 September 19 22:58 BST (UK) »
As a Wikipedia editor, I can tell you that the Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday are not considered reliable as sources and we never use them. 

Regards 

Chas

"Wikipedia Bans the Daily Mail as a Source Because It’s ‘Unreliable’. “The Daily Mail is generally unreliable” with a “reputation for poor fact checking, sensationalism and flat-out fabrication,” the statement read. The group determined that an edit filter should be put in place warning future users against linking to a Mail source." 

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 September 19 23:02 BST (UK) »
I've only just realised that I started this thread.  I just want to say that I wasn't making any comment about the article on the link.  I was just highlighting it for discussion.

Update, 23:32, here is the latest official news about the Census rehearsal taking place this autumn.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/census-rehearsal-taking-place-this-autumn

Martin

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 28 September 19 01:25 BST (UK) »
Will they count EVERYONE  who is England/Wales on Census day? And will Scotland and Northern Ireland be on the same day? If I got the urge to fly to England for Census Day from USA would I be in trouble? So would a resident from Albania or Zimbabwe in any of the above countries on that day be counted?

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 28 September 19 08:37 BST (UK) »
I've known a few transexuals. They are no threat to marriage or anything else. They just identify as opposite sex and want to live as such. Who could discriminate against that, but plenty of people do.

Actually, the trans community is uneasy at the numbers of people declaring themselves transexual these days. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.