Author Topic: Gender choices for the 2021 census  (Read 7138 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gender choices for the 2021 census
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 29 September 19 14:28 BST (UK) »
That's an interesting - and fairly plausible - account of your picture. It also squashes an idea that had been gradually forming in my mind.

You see, in view of the wires either side of your head, I'd been wondering if was taken when you were auditioning for a role as an electricity pylon.  ;D

But since you often come on here with items of current affairs...  ::)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 29 September 19 14:30 BST (UK) »
As a Wikipedia editor, I can tell you that the Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday are not considered reliable as sources and we never use them. 

Regards 

Chas

In many quarters Wikipedia is not looked on as reliable either. It does not do Wikipedia any good to make such comments.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 29 September 19 16:22 BST (UK) »

In many quarters Wikipedia is not looked on as reliable either. It does not do Wikipedia any good to make such comments.
Cheers
Guy

Quite on the contrary, Guy, it does.

All Wikipedia articles are referenced and sourced. The references and sources are there at the bottom of each page. Readers are encouraged to check the sources for themselves. No opinions, no secret whisperings, no dirty deals done in low dives - everything is aboveboard and open to scrutiny. 
If an article is found to be in error, it can be changed and swiftly. The trouble is, readers see something with which they disagree and dismiss the whole of Wikipedia on the strength of their opinion. "I remember when I was a lad", or "My dad said", or "Everybody knows" are not references and are not verifiable.   

The whole of the British Press has gone down hill and quite swiftly. There was a time, not that long ago, when The Times was known as "The Newspaper of Record". That is to say, if it was in The Times, it was accurate, factual and the truth. Those days are gone. It, like the rest of the press, has given up truth for sensationalism.   

Whereas most newspapers are quite obvious about their bias, the DM and the MoS is insidious. If a person travels to South Africa, they would expect to see coloured people. They don't need to be told in the Lifestyle or Travel Section "You will find black people on every street corner".   

In my not inconsiderable Wikipedia editing experience, I have found that the only people who defend the Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday are their readers. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 29 September 19 20:19 BST (UK) »
I do not take the Daily Mail though I have read it in the past when the occasion arose, as I have most papers (I read everything that comes to hand if I have the time to do so).

I stand by my comments

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 30 September 19 08:00 BST (UK) »
Whilst criticisms of the newspapers may be well founded, remember newspapers tell their readership what they want to hear. Same goes for politicians. Objective/balanced reporting is just boring to most people. It was always so and will continue to be. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 30 September 19 14:29 BST (UK) »
There was a good programme today after Woman’s Hour I seem to remember there weretwo young men ,Australians I think who spoke a lot of sense.
Neither were straight males, the programme was about Toxic masculinity,.and they pointed out that the attitudes of many men is so hateful and derogatory to women ,that they actually mock, deride and sully what brought them and everyone into the world.
They seemed sensitive and kind and did not actually seem bothered about labels ,they just wanted to be themselves.
It is a complex subject and so much prejudice abounds it is hard to form your own opinion .
After that there was one about Muslim homosexuals,and one young man said when his mother was told her response was “ he is still my son”.
I like to think placed in the same position I would say the same thing.
Viktoria.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 30 September 19 14:57 BST (UK) »
It must be a quiet research day if my profile picture has become the subject of discussion.

Anyway, here is the story. Four summers ago I told some friends that during our summer holiday in Montreal & Ottawa I would be drinking Canada dry. Small d.

One blisteringly hot day we were walking along the river in Montreal desperate for a refreshing drink. We came across a small car repair establishment, with a vending machine outside. I was delighted to see that it dispensed small tins of Canada Dry tonic. Alice, ('er indoors), was given strict instructions on how to take the photograph. I eventually used the cropped version as my profile picture here, and also edited it as below.

Martin

Strange.... I thought that we weren't allowed to put photos of living people on here!

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 30 September 19 17:57 BST (UK) »

Strange.... I thought that we weren't allowed to put photos of living people on here!

Carol

Bit of an assumption there, Carol. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 30 September 19 18:33 BST (UK) »
Good point...maybe he is not a living person then  ;D ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU