Author Topic: Church of the Good Shepherd, Huddersfield  (Read 937 times)

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
Re: Church of the Good Shepherd, Huddersfield
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 September 19 13:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, daveyp.

I spent some time on Google Street View a little while ago trying to find 476 Bradford Road and I decided that some even-numbered houses had disappeared at some point. While it’s been a helpful tool for some locations, Huddersfield seems to have had a lot of development over the years and places on old maps no longer match the current street layouts.
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline daveyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Church of the Good Shepherd, Huddersfield
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 September 19 16:03 BST (UK) »
It can definitely be tricky! Some roads in the area that now have a single name for the entire length were once several sections with different names, so the house numbering might have changed radically overnight :-\

The Old Maps UK web site has the 1959/60 1:1,250 scale sheets for the central Huddersfield area which were the first to include house numbering and can be zoomed in enough to make out the house numbers without splashing out on a subscription (unlike the 1:2,500 sheets).