Author Topic: Looking for the Parents and familybof George Chambers  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the Parents and familybof George Chambers
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 14:50 BST (UK) »
George Chambers is living with his mother Mary 1851,1861 and 1871 census she is from Nunnington Yorkshire.
Mary 39
Mary 7  (1843)
John 6
Sarah 2  (1848)
George 1  (1850) 
All have mother maiden name Stockdale I didn't find John' registration

Possible --John Chambers married Mary Stockdale 9 March 1841 at St George Doncaster Yorkshire.
His father George, her father Richard.

Both John Chambers and his father George are said to be Gardeners - Mary's father a farmer.

Mary Stockdale was b.21/1/1809, bp.22/1/1809 Nunnington, Yorkshire, dau. of Richard and Isabella.  Her father was an Agricultural Labourer at the time of her birth, not a farmer.

Mary claims to be married in 1851 and a widow by 1861 - cannot find a likely John Chambers on 1851 census nor can I find John and Mary together in 1841 (when they would have been married nearly 3 months).

So, have no idea (other that his father was named George and a gardener) when/where John Chambers was born or where/when he died.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 19:53 BST (UK) »
1851 census Worksop

Mary the eldest daughter listed was born Todwick Yorkshire there is a baptism in Todwick 23 October 1843 for Mary daughter of John and Mary Chambers.

It's a transcription only on ancestry, the original may have more details such as was John Chambers a gardener

There is also a baptism in Worksop for George 5 May 1850 again a transcription but parents are John Chambers and "Sarah". Is this a transcription error? and in the original is John Chambers occupation listed.

Offline ASTROSTAR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 03:16 BST (UK) »
 ??? :oSorry for late reply. But thank you so much! I haven't been through all that information yet...there is a LOT to take in, especially as I have memory problems.
But I gather I might have been correct about John being Georges Father? And there is an issue with his stated occupation?  I have no active subscriptions with any ancestry sites at present. But my family tree is on Ancestry , the App. So I will write all this down and look into it. Many thanks.
Regarding my Nan, Hilda Chambers. There has always been an issue with year of birth 1884 or 1889, I know transcribers make errors and Census age isnt always accurate. I think she died 1959 or 1960 WestHam .  I am interested as to why the family seemed to have a connection with Salford , as it seems they were Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire. But I have plenty to fill in the gaps! I just wish my Paternal Grandparents in Essex yielded so much information.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 05:47 BST (UK) »
Hilda' birth was registered 1884 with mothers maiden name Handley

Offline ASTROSTAR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 September 19 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi . I am currently trying to find out information on George Chambers Father, John. I think the marriage to Mary Stockdale is accurate, parents Richard and Isabella and Johns Father George. I cannot find a birth..I have been through relevant records and non conformist. Theres a few Probate records but uncertain. Census, a mystery. Only John I found of roundabout right age was a farm labourer Nottingham, Married but was with owner of the land, a Curate , on the day of the Census...  He had to still be alive in 1851, presumably. I had thought of Prison.  Any other suggestions???

Offline ASTROSTAR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 September 19 18:05 BST (UK) »
Name: John Chambers
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1841
Event Place: Barholm, Lincolnshire, England, United Kingdom
Residence Note: Barholm
Birth Year (Estimated): 1813-1817
Birthplace: Lincolnshire
Parish: Barholm
County: Lincolnshire
Page Number: 14
Registration Number: HO107
Piece/Folio: 615/4
Affiliate Record Type: Household

Household   Role   Sex   Age   Birthplace
George Chambers      M   52   Lincolnshire
Frances Chambers      F   48   
John Chambers      M   24   Lincolnshire
William Chambers      M   19   Lincolnshire
Joseph Chambers      M   17   Lincolnshire
Elizabeth Chambers      F   10   Lincolnshire
Mary Ann Chambers      F   4   Lincolnshire
John Wright      M   54   Lincolnshire
Ritcherd Ray      M   69   Lincolnshire

Book Number: 1
Line Number: 3
Digital Folder Number: 101720584
Image Number: 00005

Citing this Record
"England and Wales Census, 1841," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQ12-3K3 : 24 May 2019), Ritcherd Ray in household of George Chambers, Barholm, Lincolnshire, England, United Kingdom; from "1841 England, Scotland and Wales census," database and images, findmypast (http://www.findmypast.com : n.d.); citing PRO HO 107, The National Archives, Kew, Surrey.   
1841 census . Is this a possible?