Author Topic: SALLY/SARAH IS IT THE SAME PERSON?  (Read 726 times)

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SALLY/SARAH IS IT THE SAME PERSON?
« on: Tuesday 17 September 19 19:24 BST (UK) »
I have birth records that I am following as they could be ancestors, but are Sally Leary and Sarah Leary the same person? The 1st baptismal record is for 1839 and the parents are John Roche and Sally Leary, Townland, Effernogue (in fact there's an earlier one for 1837 and the mother is Sally Leary, father John Roche, Townland Effernogue)
The next record registers a baptism at Balintore in 1843 for Anty Roche and the parents are Sarah Leary and John Roche.
In 1845 there's a further baptismal record for the birth of Sarah Roche with parents John Roche and Sally Leary, Townland Balintore. Another record for Myles born in Balintore in 1847 gives the names of his parents as Sarah Leary and John Roche.
 A final baptism record registers Patrick Roche 1851 with parents John Roche and Sarah Leary, Townland Balintore.
Can any knowledgeable roots chatters confirm that the names Sarah and Sally are interchangeable and belong to the same person. I have come across this habit with another couple from the Ferns area, Sally Murphy turning into Sarah Murphy on baptismal records spanning 1850's decade.  I live in England and use Ancestry for research, I am still getting acquanted with Irish records, hope someone with knowledge of names can help, thanks...geraldin96

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SALLY/SARAH IS IT THE SAME PERSON?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 19:27 BST (UK) »
Sally is very often used as a nickname for a person with given name Sarah.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 20:21 BST (UK) »
Sally is very often used as a nickname for a person with given name Sarah.

I agree.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 23:01 BST (UK) »
Yes,  I Agree too.  I have a Sally,  born 1790s  baptised as Sally.  Then her parents became non conforming.  When Sally married  in 1810s her name was recorded as Sarah.  Her  husband was a military officer, in a foot Regiment, toured the British Empire... She wrote home to her parents in England and signed as 'Sarah'  and to her brothers as 'Sally'.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 23:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Craclyn Hallmark and majym - that's sorted out all my doubts, I have spent hours doing searches and knowing Sarah and sally are the same has cheered me up - I think I'm on the right track
Geraldine96