Author Topic: Daniel and Rachel Hendricks (b~1850's, Cape Town)  (Read 511 times)

Offline CaptainAwesomepants

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seeking Oechsle, Exley (German)
    • View Profile
Daniel and Rachel Hendricks (b~1850's, Cape Town)
« on: Wednesday 18 September 19 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hey all,
Chasing information on Daniel Hendricks and Rachel Hendricks.  Here's what I've got so far:

Daniel Hendricks
b: abt 1850, Cape Town
d: ??

Rachel Hendricks
b: 1853, Cape Town
d: 10 Oct 1898, Cape Town

Children:
  Charles John Hendricks (1860 - 15 Jul 1901, Cape Town)
  Martha Jacoba Hendricks (28 JUN 1875 - 1921, Cape Town)

My wife is the great-great-granddaughter of Charles John and Maria Hess.  This is one of the threads we've got for her tree that's run cold.

I may be mistaken, but I believe it's a harder trail to find than others because both Maria Hess and Charles John Hendricks were listed on their Death Certificates as "Coloured".  Other than that, we have no other information on Maria Hess.

Can anyone help with this at all?  Thank you!
Oechsle=>Exley (Wurtemburg, Germany), Lane (Baron of Hampton), Pickett (Western Australia), Alder (South Africa/Australia)

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel and Rachel Hendricks (b~1850's, Cape Town)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 September 19 01:50 BST (UK) »
If this is Rachel's DN then she is listed as a Hottentot - ie non-white - she is also a rag -picker widowed  of no fixed abode so unlikely to have an estate file.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-Y3QX-TDZ?i=1377&cc=1779109&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQ2QM-C35K

You could try paging through the Dutch reformed church records for Cape Town and surrounding districts  to find a baptism for the children as its most likely that if they were Christian they were members of that church. If you can find a baptism it may give you the mothers maiden name

WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel and Rachel Hendricks (b~1850's, Cape Town)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 September 19 12:53 BST (UK) »
Maria (Hendricks) Hess, b 1875, d 12th Feb 1914, Mixed Race, address 33, Lee Street, Capetown.

Maria Hendricks (b Hess) b 1866, d 30th Nov 1904, Mixed Race, address High St, Mossel Bay. Reported by husband Charles Hendricks. Cause of Death. Eclampsia.

You listed Charles as born 1860. He could not be the son of Rachel, b 1853, surely?