Author Topic: Jeanie Lindsay Muir (nee Roy)  (Read 1475 times)

Offline jonacris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jeanie Lindsay Muir (nee Roy)
« on: Friday 20 September 19 17:12 BST (UK) »
I've recently discovered a lady in my history that I had no idea existed. Her name is Jeanie Lindsay Muir (nee Roy) born 1st July 1917 at Kilwinning Ayrshire.

On 7th September 1935 she married William Muir at Ayr, and died on 19th April 1955 at Newmilns, Ayrshire, from an overdose of prescription drugs exacerbated by alcohol. The entry on Scotland's People shows that she was married to William Muir.

I have also ascertained that when William Muir enlisted in the army in 1940, he was married to Jeanie but he had no dependant children.

Because, in genealogical terms a lot of the information is very recent, that's all that I have managed to find out about her.

I just wondered whether anybody out there might just have some more information. I seem to have so little for a life lived.

Thank you,
John

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jeanie Lindsay Muir (nee Roy)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 September 19 17:33 BST (UK) »
If you have her birth and marriage cert - you will know who her parents were and her mothers maiden name which will help you to trace her ancestry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 September 19 17:41 BST (UK) »
If she was born in Kilwinning Scotlands People birth reg shows her just as Jeanie - there is no birth for a Jeannie Lindsay Roy but there is one for a Jessie Lindsay Roy in Murroes in 1917

Jean/Jane/Jessie are interchangeable and she died as Jean Lindsay Muir

Have you downloaded a copy of the marriage cert to establish her parents names then downloaded the birth cert for comparison

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 September 19 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

According to Findagrave,  Jeanie is buried as Jean Muir in Newmilns Cemetery
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/134512490/jean-muir   

Looby

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 September 19 11:37 BST (UK) »
Birth record on SP
JEANIE ROY 1917 Kilwinning.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 September 19 11:48 BST (UK) »
Oddly there were no Roy families in Kilwinning on the 1911 census or 1915/1920 Valuation Rolls but there are plenty in the adjacent Stevenston (I live in the area). My guess is that Jeanie was born Stevenston and the birth registered in Kilwinning.
Colin 
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 September 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
I wonder if these are Jeanie’s parents?

ROBERT ROY married JEANIE LINDSAY 1915 Kilmaurs.

Colin

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 September 19 17:55 BST (UK) »
Oddly there were no Roy families in Kilwinning on the 1911 census or 1915/1920 Valuation Rolls but there are plenty in the adjacent Stevenston (I live in the area). My guess is that Jeanie was born Stevenston and the birth registered in Kilwinning.
The rule book said that a birth must be registered in the district where it took place, but if the parents' domicile was in another district it would also be registered there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jonacris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 September 19 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hello, and thank you all for your replies. They certainly didn't waste any time in burying folk back in 1955 did they!

Although there is a Jessie Lindsay Roy born in Murroes in 1917 I'm certain that 'my' Jeanie' was born in Kilwinning and as her birth certificate shows : Jeanie Lindsay or Roy born July 1st 1917, mother Jeanie Roy. Her father's detail are, to me, indecipherable (something to do with a soldier and 18months ago!). I'm not too sure whether I am allowed to post a photo of the relevant section of the birth certificate or else I would.

The marriage certificate that I can find shows: Robert Roy married Jeanie Lindsay on March 13th  1915 at Kilmaurs.

Jeanie's death certificate shows her father as James Carswell Roy and mother as Jean Stevenson Roy nee Lindsay

So all, in all, very confusing, to say the least!

I would really like to know whether their were any children of the marriage between Jeanie and William, which is not that easy I appreciate!

Thanks again, John