Author Topic: Jeanie Lindsay Muir (nee Roy)  (Read 1474 times)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jeanie Lindsay Muir (nee Roy)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 September 19 19:34 BST (UK) »
There were 3 other Roy births registered in Kilwinning prior to Jeanie. See below.
There was no Roy births in Kilwinning 1880 – 1909 and the next one after Jeanie was 1936.

ROY   MARGARET CONN D   1910   Kilwinning
ROY   SUSAN SOMERVILLE   1915   Kilwinning
ROY   JAMES SMELLIE   1916   Kilwinning
ROY   JEANIE   1917   Kilwinning

No Margaret or any other Roy is on the 1911 census in Kilwinning or any valuation roll 1855 – 1940.

There were two Roy marriages in Kilwinning and many more in the County but not James & Jeanie.
ROY   JAMES   WALKER   MARGARET W   1908   Kilwinning, (so the 3 earlier births could be theirs)? 
ROY   JEANIE C   WALKER   FRANCIS   1911   Kilwinning

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 September 19 20:41 BST (UK) »
Forget the 1917 birth - Jessie Lindsay Roy died in 1919 in Murroes

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 September 19 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hello, and thank you all for your replies. They certainly didn't waste any time in burying folk back in 1955 did they!
That seems too quick even for a natural, expected death. Was there no post-mortem/inquiry?
Cowban

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 September 19 02:45 BST (UK) »
There is a death of a Jane Stevenson Lindsay other name Roy in Kilmarnock 1967 age 74
Jeanie's birth was indexed under Lindsay as well as Roy which could point to her parents not being married
There is one marriage for a Jane Stevenson Lindsay but unlikely her and a birth in1893 at Kilwinning that would match

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 September 19 07:55 BST (UK) »

The marriage certificate that I can find shows: Robert Roy married Jeanie Lindsay on March 13th  1915 at Kilmaurs.

Jeanie's death certificate shows her father as James Carswell Roy and mother as Jean Stevenson Roy nee Lindsay

So all, in all, very confusing, to say the least!

I would really like to know whether their were any children of the marriage between Jeanie and William, which is not that easy I appreciate!

Hi again.

The information on a death certificate can be wrong  :-\  - it is only as accurate and reliable as the knowledge or memory of the informant.
Perhaps the person who registered Jeanie's death made a mistake with her father's name.
What was her father's name on her marriage registration?
 By the way, you are allowed to post a snippet from the image of her birth registration , if you want help with deciphering anything  :)

Finding out if William and Jeanie had children will not be easy.  You know they had none after 4/5 years of marriage in 1940 when William enlisted. Do you know where were they living at this time? 
Looking on SP or Roy births between 1940 and 1955 in Ayrshire (assuming Jeanie never moved out the county) is not possible online , as you probably know. You would need to visit an SP centre , pay the fee for all day use of the computer and work your way through them. A hard task indeed.

Looby😊

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 September 19 11:28 BST (UK) »
Robert Roy married Jeanie Lindsay on March 13th - 1915 at Kilmaurs.

A likely Robert Roy age 25, his mother and siblings are in Kilmaurs in 1911, there were a number of Roy births there 1916 plus, including a David Lindsay Roy in the 1920s. So I thnk unlikely to be the parents of Jeanie 1917.

However I think this from Wendy is very likely.

“There is a death of a Jane Stevenson Lindsay other name Roy in Kilmarnock 1967 age 74 Jeanie's birth was indexed under Lindsay as well as Roy which could point to her parents not being married”

Also there is the following death, which may be of interest.
JAMES ROY   Age 68   1963     Kilwinning

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline jonacris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 September 19 16:02 BST (UK) »
The marriage of Robert Roy and Jeanie Lindsay on 12 March 1915 at Kilmaurs shows his occupation as 'Brickwork Labourer' and in brackets 'Private ??? Batt, Royal Scots Fusiliers'

Jeanie's birth registration on 1st July 1917 shows in the Father's Name and Occupation (as far as I can work out!) 'Jeanie Roy, wife of Robert Roy, Brickwork Labourer, Private 1/9 Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers, ???? is not the father of the child and further that she has had no ? communication with him since he went to France about sixteen months ago'

On her marriage registration in 1935, Jeanie shows her father as Robert Roy (General Labourer), mother Jeanie Roy maiden surname Lindsay.

The 1920 Valuation Roll shows a Robert Roy, Brickworker at Vine Park, Kilmaurs.

Thanks again to everybody for taking the time to help.

Best regards, John

Ps I didn't know that snippets of an image can be posted to help with deciphering or that the SP Centre has the facility for all day use of their computers. I shall have to arrange a couple of days holiday in Edinburgh.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 September 19 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

So from what you've posted Jeanie Roy's father does not seem to be her mother's husband - Robert Roy having been in the army and away in France for 16 months prior to the birth. Jeanie's mother has obviously been upfront about this at the registrar's for this information to be recorded on the certificate.  Robert Roy's name has been added in the space for father because as Jeanie Roy/Lindsay's legal husband , she could register the birth with his name as father.
Naturally if Robert Roy survived the Great War he would know young Jeanie was not his.
Which makes the name James Carswell Roy - her father's name on her death certificate interesting . Perhaps a James Carswell was her natural father ??

In case it helps, there are other centres in Scotland where you can pay to access all the BDM records. In Ayshire , for instance, you can book a computer at the Burns Monumwnt Centre in Kilmarnock.

Looby  :)

Offline jonacris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 September 19 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Looby, thanks for that information. I had searched in vain for James Carswell Roy but what you say is interesting. There was a James Carswell who died in Kilwinning in 1949 aged 77 years and he may well have been Jeanie's natural father.

I didn't know about the Burns Monument Centre in Kilmarnock. I've been planning a visit to Ayrshire next summer when my daughter visits from Australia, her Australian husband's half-brother actually lives in Kilwinning so that's me sorted whilst they catch up!

Thanks again,

John