Author Topic: Seeking help re two baptisms for the same name.  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help re two baptisms for the same name.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 September 19 23:39 BST (UK) »
I agree that there are two, as I said in my post this morning. It would be good to know why AC thinks the Haslington one is his.

I've looked through his previous posts and have found an Ann Farr and a Samuel Farr in Cheshire mentioned  but not a John until this post.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 September 19 06:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your interest and help.

I have got to this point by following from a direct ancestor, Samuel Farr, baptised at Sandbach, Cheshire
Record title: England, Cheshire Bishop's Transcripts, 1598-1900
name:   Samuel Farr
event:   Christening
event date:01 Jul 1789
event place: Sanbach, Cheshire, England
father:   John Farr
digital folder number:   4018545

Samuel married Francis Norebury at Sandbach, and all five of the children I have discovered were baptized at Sandbach

I have father John Farr married to Ellen Key
Event:      Marriage
Event Date:   25 Jan 1780
Event Place:   Barthomley, Cheshire
Name:      John Farr
Spouse:           Ellen Key
Film Number:   2000009
Digital Folder Number 4018760
Image Number   100
As per Family Search

I also have John Farr baptized
Event:      Christening
Event Date:   17 Jun 1759
Event Place:   Haslington, Cheshire
Name:      John Far
Father:      Thos. Far
Film Number:   2186911
Digital Folder No    4019282
Image Number   178
As per Family Search

It is when I was doing further research to find out more about John and hopefully his father, that I ran into the Manchester John Farr with father Thomas. I have so far only found Samuel, but that does not mean there are no other children, just that I have not found them yet.

With all the information you great Rootschatters have found, I am willing to discard the Manchester John Farr, as a person with the same name, and same fathers name. It is just the closeness of the baptism dates that had me wondering.

Again, many thanks for all your help.

AC

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 September 19 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm! John and Ellen were very much rooted in Haslington, and had a son Samuel in 1797.
The Samuel Farr (grocer) who mar Frances Norbury in 1814 Sandbach was 25+ (PR and Marr licence), indicating a DOB of abt 1789. That fits with Samuel bp Feb 1789 Sandbach s of John Farr of Sandbach. A John Farr of Sandbach married Ann Weston July 1784 Sandbach, both being of that parish. Ann possibly bur 1837 Sandbach age 86. Not certain abt John but possibly bur 1832: the will of John F of Sandbach written 1815, proved 1832, names his wife Ann, sons William and Samuel, gd-dtr Mary Ann (the dtr of Samuel), gd-son John (s of Wllm). John also names his sisters Elizabeth Lees of Sheffield, Yorks., and Mary Wildblood of Smallwood, Cheshire. It's quite an interesting will...
In sum, I'd incline towards discounting John = Ellen of Haslington/Barthomley, in favour of John and Ann of Sandbach as the parents of Samuel 1789.
I hope this helps - it's been a very interesting journey! :)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 23 September 19 07:29 BST (UK) »
Birtle, thanks for that.

You have put a different light on this family, one I had not seen, as I thought I had them sorted out :'(

Could you please let me know where you found that will, as it will give me some idea, I hope, of sorting out this family conundrum.

AC

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 23 September 19 09:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry - well, not really, if I've helped - to have been the fly in the ointment!
Images (nb but not transcriptions) of Cheshire wills are viewable/downloadable online on FindMyPast, but if you don't have a sub I'd recommend against purchasing credits: the list of search results doesn't always distinguish between pithy entries in the historic 'Index to Death Duty registers' (though they can be useful) and images of the will itself, so it has the potential to get a bit wasteful of time if not money. In addition, odd wills/images have a habit of disappearing from FindMyPast from time to time...
The alternative is the master index of Cheshire wills available via here http://www.cheshirearchives.org.uk/search-and-shop/search-and-shop.aspx. You can order paper copies of original wills direct from Cheshire Record Office (CRO) by this route.
Notes re searching CRO: it indexes the date of probate NOT death, and the two can be years apart. Also, when entering surnames in the Cheshire Record Office search form I recommend inputting as few letters as possible, thus: Far  (No need to use a terminal asterisk or anything to indicate truncation). This is because the name is indexed using the spelling as found in the will itself, which of course can be variable.
Give a good range of dates to cover the date of death/probate issue, and I'd recommend not putting in a place as it might be different from what you'd expect (I'm mentioning all this as the CRO Help pages have lost their link).
NB click on the More Details button in the CRO search results once you've found a match; this will tell you whether it is for a will, an administration ('admon'), or if there's an inventory (wonderful things!).
Btw, even if you should get a sub to FindMyPast I'd strongly recommend using the Record Office database as a reliable double-check when searching.
Have fun :)
PS Also bear in mind that the will might have been written years before the testator's death; the date of writing will be indicated either at the start or end of the will. Beneficiaries, such as those named in John Farr's will, might have departed this mortal coil by the time he died or the will was proved!
The date of probate is often recorded in a note on end pages of the will

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 23 September 19 15:09 BST (UK) »
... and google <farr sandbach norbury new monthly magazine> . This pinpoints where Samuel who married Mary Norbury lived. It could possibly provide a clue when looking into his father John's bp (and also the bp's of John's siblings as eg named in his will) and distinguishing them from all the other Sandbach Farr's. I'll say no more - it'd spoil the fun. But let me know if you get stuck.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 24 September 19 06:47 BST (UK) »
Birtle, thank you for your interest and help.

I have looked at the Cheshire Archives, and as a result, I think I can use the GRO information regarding Samuel's death of the Dec quarter 1839, rather than the FS of 1851!

I will have a look at the  information you have generously supplied, and see what i can sort out.

I will have to go to the library to get Findmypast access to look at the wills.

Again, many thanks.

AC

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 24 September 19 10:15 BST (UK) »
I will have to go to the library to get Findmypast access to look at the wills.
If you can get access to FindMyPast then you'll also be able to find images of Cheshire PRs and BTs: bp's, marriages and burials. An invaluable resource. Usefully, the PRs overlap to some extent with the civil registers that began in 1837 (as found in GRO).
Birtle