Author Topic: Seeking help re two baptisms for the same name.  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help re two baptisms for the same name.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 September 19 21:06 BST (UK) »
I'm saying, admittedly not very clearly :-[, that if no BT can be found to correspond with any of the entries in the Haslington chapelry bp records for 1759, then surely it follows that the Manchester John Farr is likely to be someone different? His different bp date would support that notion.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 September 19 21:12 BST (UK) »
I don't follow your logic. BT submissions are constructed from the parish records and are submitted every 3 months. There are many cases where the PRs  are  not copied correctly or are  missing. 

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 September 19 21:16 BST (UK) »
A-C -

What has led you to John Far(r) - i.e, were do you pick him up  as an adult ?  E.g. was he in Cheshire or Manchester?

Gadget

Add - where did he marry and what did he call his children?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 September 19 21:52 BST (UK) »
... There are many cases where the PRs  are  not copied correctly or are  missing.
Precisely! In this instance I conclude that the Haslington chapelry records for 1759 for whatever reason never got to be transcribed along with the other Barthomley PRs for the purposes of the BT. If none of the other Haslington chapelry bp entries for 1759 can be found in a BT, then I find it hard to imagine how/why John Farr could or should be an exception; and to associate him with a 'duplicate' bp in Manchester plus a different date is a big leap of faith!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 September 19 22:05 BST (UK) »
I don't think any of us are saying that it is the same person. I'm certainly not.

I think the OP is trying to work out which one is his, if either of them are. That's why I asked about his marriage and children in my previous post.

Gadget

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 September 19 22:15 BST (UK) »
Gadget,
Is it possible for Thomas to have taken John from Haslington to Manchester some six weeks later for another baptism, or is it just a cast of two fathers naming their sons John, with the births being about the same time.
This is what I've been trying to answer. In fact, I got the impression when i made my first post that the jury was still out, so I looked for evidence in the sources, trying to explain my methodology at the same time.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 September 19 22:18 BST (UK) »
I  want to find why a-c has decided on either baptism. As far as I can see, he has a marriage but nothing else.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 September 19 22:23 BST (UK) »
Birtle - this is why I'm querying the Haslington baptism.

I've just been doing some cross checking of  Far* with father named Thomas/Thos in Manchester, Lancashire and Cheshire for the period 1760 +/- 5.  There are quite a few* in Manchester  but only your John in Haslington. The other Haslington baptisms with that father's name are for Farrington.  I'm wondering if Far was written by mistake and could have been Farrington.

Gadget

*add - as Farr

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 September 19 23:34 BST (UK) »
Gadget
Birtle - this is why I'm querying the Haslington baptism.
I think there's evidence that they are two distinct individuals:-
Re JF in Haslington:- John Farr, tailor = Ellen Key, Barthomley  25 Jan 1780.
Their son John bur 5 Oct 1798 age 1 week (father John is described as a tailor of Winte[r]ley - regarding which, see Genuki under Haslington). Various other children bp 1788-1797 Haslington/Barthomley but not further investigated. John and Ellen not yet killed off!
Re a (different) JF in Manchester:- will of John Farr, late of Manchester, linen draper 1813 [cf Index of wills].
JF bur 16 July 1813 Cheetham St Marks chapelry, age 54 [ie b 1759ish], abode Market St, Manchester. That fits JF s of Thos bp July 1759 Manchester.
As a fustian cutter of the town of Manchester he may have married Alice Holdcroft 1784 Manchester St Denys... (they had children up to 1803); Alice bur Cheetham St Mark 1805 age 40.
I'm not saying that either fits AC's bill, but they do demonstrate the existence of two distinct guys named John Farr, either bp 1759 Haslington or 1759 Manchester.