Author Topic: St. Christopher's Mission Church, Walker, Northumberland  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Stirrick

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Christopher's Mission Church, Walker, Northumberland
« on: Sunday 22 September 19 08:12 BST (UK) »
I have been doing some research into ancestors based in Allendale, Northumberland during the 18th and 19th Centuries.

I've noticed that several have burial entries for "St. Christopher's Mission Church, Walker". Walker is a considerable distance (for the period we're discussing) from Allendale. And so I wondered what the link was.

Does anybody have any idea ?
Or does anybody have any information on the Mission ?

Andy

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St. Christopher's Mission Church, Walker, Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 September 19 10:18 BST (UK) »
A very warm welcome to Rootschat.

What period are you referring to re. burials? There are several newspaper reports, Oct/Nov 1888, about the opening and dedication of the St Christopher Mission Chapel, Fisher Hill, Low Walker.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 September 19 10:38 BST (UK) »
Was there any family connection for the burials you were seeing at St.Christopher’s Mission?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Stirrick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 September 19 11:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.

I found references to the Mission Chapel built 1888, Hanes, but the entries I'm interested in start a Century before that. I wondered if, perhaps, it was a roving ministry with sub-Chapels built outside of the Walker area. It would be a good day's travel to take a body from Allendale across to Walker and I wondered why anyone would make the effect. A local sub-Chapel near Allendale would make more sense, but that's pure speculation.

I'm not even sure what denomination the Mission Chapel was.

The families I'm interested in, Craclyn, are Sparks and McMillan. Both seem to have been small scale farming families in the Allendale area.

Andy

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 September 19 11:19 BST (UK) »
A local sub-Chapel near Allendale would make more sense, but that's pure speculation.

I have never found a local sub-Chapel near Allendale. Still I will be interested to see the replies you get as this is a topic that I have often wondered about (having lots of Allendale ancestors myself) but have never found the answer!
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 September 19 11:24 BST (UK) »
I think my earlier question must have been unclear. I was actually wondering whether the Allendale people buried in Walker were fairly random or had some family connection to each other.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Stirrick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 September 19 11:41 BST (UK) »
They were linked through marriage, Craclyn.

The families I'm interested in - Spark, McMillan, Nevin, Forrest, Brown - seem to have inter-married multiple times through the generations. Which, I suppose, would be typical for a rural parish.

Maddening, isn't it, davidft ?
I thought I could just google-it and the answer would be there.
But there's absolutely nothing on-line about this Mission.

Andy

Offline SusiMac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 February 22 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Reviving an old topic - I too have an ancestor (Phillipson) in Allendale recorded as being buried St Christopher's Mission Walker in 1784, but also listed as buried St Peter's Allenheads:

From Family Search: Thomasina Philipson bur. 12 Sep 1784 age 6 dau of Francis & Mary - St. Christopher's Mission Church, Walker, Northumberland, England
On FindmyPast - Thomasin Philipson bur.13 Sep 1784 Allendale dau. of Francis - Bishop's transcript cited as source
Also on Find my Past - Thomasin Philipson bur.13 Sep 1784 Allenheads St Peter dau. of Francis. Northumberland and Durham FHS cited as source

Too much of a coincidence to be 2 different children?

I have also looked for history of churches in Allendale to no avail - but if there was a roaming mission (St. Christopher would be a good name for it) maybe a funeral service on the 12th before Anglian burial on 13th?