Author Topic: St Mary Magdalene, BRIDGNORTH  (Read 525 times)

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
St Mary Magdalene, BRIDGNORTH
« on: Monday 23 September 19 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If anyone has access to the monumental inscriptions for St Mary Magdalene, Bridgnorth I would be very grateful for any information there may be on John Chapman who died 1864.

Thank you

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary Magdalene, BRIDGNORTH
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 September 19 10:56 BST (UK) »
After the Bridgnorth Municipal Cemetery opened on 24th July 1855, no more burials took place in the churchyard although John Chapman's burial service would have been at the church.

He is recorded in the Cemetery Burial Register as;
John Chapman, Revenue Officer, age 47 of Mill St. Buried on 25th March   1864. Grave No.986   Consecrated.

Perhaps of interest to you, there was also a
Agnes Chapman, daughter of William, age 3. Buried on 7th September 1870. Grave No.563 Consecrated.

If the rain keeps off, I'll go and see if there are any memorial stones for them.

John Chapman was mentioned several times in issues of the local newspaper The Bridgnorth Journal;
2nd February 1861. Married in the Registrars Office. John Chapman of Bobbington to Miss Caroline Hill of Bridgnorth.
2nd April 1864. Died - John Chapman, age 47, at Mill Street. Officer of the Inland Revenue, formerly of Wellington.
2nd April 1864. For Auction - Furniture & effects of the Late John Chapman at 55 Mill Street.

Regards,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary Magdalene, BRIDGNORTH
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 September 19 11:19 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply which is very much appreciated. 

Kind regards