Author Topic: Mary Agnes Mcghee  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Mary Jane Craig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Agnes Mcghee
« on: Tuesday 24 September 19 20:52 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find a marriage record for Jane White born about 1901 in Glasgow and who married Edward Mcghee. I found one for a Jane (Jeannie Whyte) in Scotlands People but I don't think it's the right one. They had a daughter called Mary Agnes Mcghee.   

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Agnes Mcghee
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 September 19 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Why would you think the one you found is not the right one? Can't go past it, or find any alternative, When was the mentioned daughter born?

MARRIAGE: Jeanie WHYTE & Edward McGHEE, Gorbals 1926

BIRTH: of the mentioned daughter, registered 1929 Gorbals?  (I'm not naming - as she could well be still living)

Cheers,
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Mary Jane Craig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 08:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, it probably is the right one. I think the daughter was born about 1929. I was put off by the different spelling of White/White and the addition of Jeanie but if there is no other record then it must be them.

Many thanks

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 08:53 BST (UK) »
The spelling of White or Whyte in different records could be a clerical interpretation, among other things.

The interchange between Jane/Jean/Jeannie/Jennie/Jennet/Janet and pet form Jessie was not at all uncommon in older Scottish records  ;D

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 09:05 BST (UK) »
Just to add -
SP has a death for a Mary Agnes McGhee , age 67 , 1997 Glasgow Lanark , mother's maiden Surname Whyte.
Other surname showing as O'Neill.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Mary Jane Craig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 09:11 BST (UK) »
Ah, many thanks again.   

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 13:40 BST (UK) »
I was put off by the different spelling of White/White and the addition of Jeanie
Never be influenced by spelling. There is no such thing as fixed or correct spelling of names when it comes to older records.

Use wildcards on Scotland's People - wh*t* for White/Whyt etc and j*an* to pick up Jane/Jean/Jeanie/Jeannie/Janet etc.

Have a look at http://www.whatsinaname.net/ to get an idea of what names are interchangeable.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Mary Jane Craig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 13:43 BST (UK) »
That's really helpful, thank you. Mcghee surnames are just as complicated with the various spellings. Thats a really great tip

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 13:57 BST (UK) »
Yes, indeed. I research Moug, sometimes spelled Mug or Mugg and occasionaly Mougge or even Mong, and I have yet to find a way of searching for Mougs without getting all the variations of the far more numerous McGhees as well.

m*g* produces dozens of results, and using phonetic matching brings up Mackie and variants as well as McGhee and variants.   :'(
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.