Author Topic: Richard Bull Snr.  (Read 1726 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Bull Snr.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 08:22 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 08:23 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 08:32 BST (UK) »
Great finds every one  ;D

Of the children of Richard Bull and Florence E, on Census 1911 is Muriel A W  BULL, aged 25 (born abt 1886) Kings Co.

BIRTH Registration, Mar Qtr 1886, Tullamore:
Muriel Anna Wiley BULL

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 10:14 BST (UK) »
Kildare Nationalist Jan 2018
Richard Bull born Nenagh 1851 son of Fredrick and Jane Wiley
Richard's uncle William Hunt Bull
William's father John
William's son John
Richard married Elizabeth Barcroft in 1880.

There is more about Richard's family, it's in the Racing Section of the paper something to do with 'Who was Who of Irish Racing'.

I was woken by a truck when I wrote the above so now that I'm properly awake I'll do a better job at extracting the info in the article.
Fredrick Bull auctioneer and clerk of Nenagh poor law union and wife had four children, Fredrick died 1853, heavily pregnant at the time his wife had in a few weeks started a dressmaking business.
Richard was Church Warden of Birr, a member of the Ormonde Hunt, horse breeder, and invested in Newspaper titles.
Married Florence Elizabeth Barcroft of Kilboggett Cabinteely in 1880, Richard was now Under Sherriff of both Kings and Queen's Counties.
The couple moved to Cloonagh than Elmfield living next door to Daniel E Williams.
In 1904 daughter Florence (23) eloped with the boy next door Daniel Williams a RC. They married in Dublin and went to America, arrived back in Ireland 1905 with their son Vincent.
The Williams family welcomed them back but Richard didn't and barred his daughter from seeing her mother until Florence Elizabeth was on her deathbed in Mountmellick in 1917.
Richard and family had to move to Rockfield House Maryborough because he had arrested one of the Williams employees making him a figure of hate in Elmfield.
The rest is about his horses, I haven't read it all but at the end.
Richard went on a tour of Egypt and Naples with his daughter Muriel in 1927, died in Dublin in 1930.
Run away daughter Florence died in 1956 having outlived her husband by almost 20 years.

Almost forgot
Near the start
Richard's uncle William Hunt Bull had inherited the office of Clerk to the Court of Petty Sessions in Nenagh from his father John and succeeded, after almost 40 years in office, by his son also John.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 12:01 BST (UK) »
Gleanings from the "Guardian" files of 1874 in the Nenagh Guardian of 1974
Mr John Bull son of William Bull, for the last 40 years Clerk of the Petty Session, has been appointed to the vacant mastership of the Nenagh Post Office.

Offline Tweetybird21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much everyone and especially Sinann for hitting the jackpot! Now I know where the stubborn streak in the family comes from! I guessed due to the nature of his job Richard was probably not a very popular man at the time but I didn't realise he'd barred Florence from seeing her Mother! :o

I was wondering how you found the article, is there an Irish newspaper archive website?

Many thanks!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 13:33 BST (UK) »

https://www.irishnewsarchive.com/
Subscription site
Nenagh Guardian 1838-Current

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 14:15 BST (UK) »
You would need to check everything written in the newspaper
For example Family Search has Patrick Bull married to Jane Wiley in 1849
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGVD-P9J3
While on Irish Genealogy there is no Patrick marriage but there is a Frederick on the same page as Jane Wiley, so looks like a transcription error on the part of FamilySearch but it does show Patrick/Frederick's father as John which agrees with Frederick and William H being brothers if the newspaper is correct and William H's father was John.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 15:23 BST (UK) »
We know from the Will Calendars the William Hunt Bull's wife was Ellen.
An Ellen Bull died in Dublin in 1892 she was from Barrack's Street Nenagh, this address turns up a lot in the papers for the Bull family.
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014909/005014909_00498.pdf
Susan Harkness mention on the Will Calendar married 1889
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1889/10724/5910257.pdf
daughter of William Hunt Bull, Petty Sessions etc
There is at least one birth in Nenagh 1864 to William Hunt Bull and Ellen Heney (?)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03615/2334262.pdf