Author Topic: France Census?  (Read 685 times)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
France Census?
« on: Saturday 28 September 19 01:28 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Was there a census taken in France for 1881 and 1891? I've lost my 2nd great-grandfather on the 1871, 1881, and 1891 censuses. I think he was in Ireland for the 1871 census.

His name was Henry Benson Stuart. Born 20 Apr 1835 in Calcutta, India. At one time he was a Captain in the Bengal Army, a gentleman, an author, and his burial record from 1897 says he was a Major in the Bengal Army.

He is in the 1851 census at school in Rugby and in the 1861 census with his wife and son. He seemed to have several children with a few different women over a 20 year period or so. His second wife lived around the corner from my 2nd great-grandmother, who had two children with HB Stuart while he was married.

My 2nd great-grandmother ended up going to France with her daughter in 1887 and my great-grandad went to live with another family. I wondered if HB Stuart was in France with them and that's why I can't find him. Most likely he's hiding under a different name. I really have no idea where to look at this point.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: France Census?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 September 19 08:36 BST (UK) »