Author Topic: MI Lookup: George Rome died 1878 in Luton area  (Read 645 times)

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
MI Lookup: George Rome died 1878 in Luton area
« on: Saturday 28 September 19 06:35 BST (UK) »
The GRO Index has death of George Rome, age 43, in June quarter of 1878 in the Luton Registration District. This Regn District spanned the boundaries of Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire.
1861 Census has George Rome, unmarried, as Draper Assistant in Hitchin (Herts); 1871 Census has him, unmarried, as Draper in Stevenage (Herts). So he may have died and been buried in that area of Hertfordshire.
However he may be the son of Helen Carruthers (nee Cowan), who lived with her husband Thomas Carruthers, in Luton (Beds), in which case George Rome may have been with that family when he died and so was buried in Luton, Bedfordshire.
Can anyone help find a burial record or memorial inscription for George Rome in Luton, Beds, or across the county border in Herts.
If he was Helen Carruther's son, he might be mentioned on her headstone. The 1897 Obit for Thomas Carruthers mentions he was buried in the Luton General Cemetery, so that might be a good place to look.
Thank you.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MI Lookup: George Rome died 1878 in Luton area
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 September 19 07:32 BST (UK) »
My thoughts are that your first task is to purchase the death certificate which will pinpoint George's last known residence.

Luton Registration District covers a fairly large number of locations.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 September 19 08:02 BST (UK) »
I know ... I'm forever suggesting the same thing to other people  ::). But, it's surely worth asking on this Forum first - I'd kick myself if his MI was easily found, just sitting there with all the info I need.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 September 19 08:23 BST (UK) »
The probate index for George Rome says he died in Luton, late of 43 King St Luton - one of the executors was Thomas Carruthers of King St

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 September 19 10:22 BST (UK) »
Brilliant! Thanks Rosie99. I've ordered that Will (£1.50). Hopefully it will reveal the relationship to Helen Carruthers.
But in case it doesn't, I would still be keen to hear from anyone who can find George Rome's memorial inscription.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 September 19 10:31 BST (UK) »
You may need to know that there is a considerable delay with these wills at the moment, some people have been waiting since July.

Online records for Bedfordshire are not good.  As the probate index gives you a date of death and address it may be better if you contact the local churches and cemeteries yourself.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk