Author Topic: Australian Nurse's Uniform  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Nurse's Uniform
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 September 19 10:42 BST (UK) »
https://www.pulseuniform.com/coffee-time/nursing-uniforms-of-the-past-and-present-nurse-uniforms-history/

Here is the complete link to the history of nursing uniforms.. sorry I only sent part of it which didn't prove useful.
shume

Thanks for this link. Quite a few similar uniforms as to the one worn by my ancestor. I noted a comment that some of the uniforms were similar to domestic servants. So I looked at domestic servant uniforms as well, and yes, they do look like nurses uniforms.

Could the photo be a domestic servant uniform, and not a nurse? She nominates herself as "domestic duties" in 1909 (birth of son), 1913 (Electoral Roll at parent's address) and 1916 (marriage). The photo is addressed to her sister (on the back), but one would presume she would be showing off her nurse's uniform rahter  than her domestic servant's uniform.........maybe?

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 September 19 11:00 BST (UK) »
Does Herbert ever give a father’s name on any certificates?

I agree that the use of the surname Pittar makes this scenario extremely likely, and even if she was not a dental nurse there could be other ways they may have come into contact.

Are you in contact with any of Herbert’s descendants? A DNA test might help you prove your theory.

Thanks Ruskie - Herbert died unmarried and childless in the 1990's. He grew up as the "son" of his grandparents who raised him, and the "brother" of his real mother, Edith, who left him. He had half brothers when his real mother married in 1916 and had 4 boys. I've spoken to some descendants of those half brothers (all now deceased), however, they were all unaware of Herbert's half brother connection to the their family - it was a shock to them as they knew Herbert as Edith's brother, not as her son.

When Herbert's grandparents died, he was referred to as their "son" in Funeral Notices, however, not on their Death Certificates. He did not appear as a son on his real mother's Death Certificate.

I'm unaware of any DNA matches that may assist my research, if they could assist at all?

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 September 19 11:15 BST (UK) »
I cannot help with the Uniform, but I do know the surname PITTAR in that era in Sydney ... only from a local history aspect, not family ...  although I can wish ! and I am sure Les can too ... Kirribilli House .................etc etc

ADD
dob for Herbert seems to be early August 1909.  :) drilling down on NSW BDM online index.

Thanks JM for your very informative(!) reply. I did a bit of research into the PITTAR family as well, but was unaware of the Kiirribill House connection. I know the father PITTAR and his sons were around at the time leading up to the birth of Herbert Charles Pittar SMITH, and thought it could either be the father or one of the sons (all theory of cause!). When I started seeing an added "W" to Herbert's signature that's when I thought maybe Walter PITTAR?

I know Walter was married at the time and immigration records show him sailing between Sydney and NZ a number of times. Of interest was him arriving in Sydney 8/9/1908 and returning to NZ 9/12/1908. This fits in with Herbert's birth 10/8/1909 - once again all just a theory.

Les

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 September 19 12:09 BST (UK) »
There are many styles of nurses outfits including housemaid/nursemaid but there isn't an exact match for this one although some in the link a very similar. The apron's bib is distinctive and much wider extending across the shoulders and this sets it apart from the usual nurse's outfit. Not sure if it is a mark on the photo but there appears to be a cord like object under the left hand side of the bib as you look at the photo.
The theory put forward about a dental nurse I think is very plausible
Great photos here  8)

https://www.vintag.es/2018/04/51-elegant-photos-of-nurses-from.html

I would like to see this one scanned at 300dpi and put up on the photo board for repair  ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 September 19 12:14 BST (UK) »
Messrs A. T- Harry Pittar and Walter D. Pittar are'two Aucklanders who have
boldly set out to conquer London. They arrived in the Malwa six months ago, and now each night in the Strand may
be seen in letters of blazing light the
legend, "Pittar Brothers, Dental Cham- bers." The two brothers have taken
premises in Walter House, opposite the
Tivoli, and fitted up rooms which, they
claim, are the largest and most up-todate of the kind in the UnitedKingdom.
But this is only a beginning. By degrees they propose to openotherbranches
in London'and the provinces. Owing to
a recent loss, Mr Harry Pittar-is leaving,
shortly via--, Marseilles and Sydney on
a, flying visit to New Zealand, but he
intends returning to London as soon as possible
This extract is from "The Poverty Bay Herald" (NZ) Dec 1909: It clearly states Harry and Walter as brothers.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Erica Rae

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les,

I was extremely interested to read your post, especially since i am researching my grandfather, who we have just days ago found out was illegitimate.

All indications at the moment are he was the results of a fling between my great grandmother and a NZ dentist in England....Walter Douglas Brewer Pittar.

i would dearly love to hear from you...

Warmest regards,
Stacy
Robert Aaron Little, John Savage Wallis, Mabel Lyall, Robert Clement Walker.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 03:54 GMT (UK) »
quote author=Erica Rae link=topic=819344.msg6915812#msg6915812 date=1585068949]
Hi Les,

I was extremely interested to read your post, especially since i am researching my grandfather, who we have just days ago found out was illegitimate.

All indications at the moment are he was the results of a fling between my great grandmother and a NZ dentist in England....Walter Douglas Brewer Pittar.

i would dearly love to hear from you...

Warmest regards,
Stacy
[/quote]

Hi Stacy

WOW!!! What a co-incidence! I'll message you with my email address, and take it from there.

Les